Chapter 3: He Might as Well Be In a Calvin Klein Commercial

Since my cover had just been blown, I found myself in a very compromising position.

I tried to hide from whoever it was, kneeling down on the floor and picking up my textbook. I did it so fast my bag slid off my shoulder and onto the ground; scattering my notes everywhere.

Someone up there must really have it in for me.

As I hurried to pick up my notes like my life depended on these darn papers; I felt a hand touch my shoulder, and I literally started hyperventilating.

I could feel my heart stuck in my throat, and my hands began to sweat profusely.

Why can the ground just open up and swallow me at this very moment?

"Avaly, are you okay?" It wasn't the sound of his deep voice that send shivers down my spine, but the way his voice sounded so unfamiliar.

Still, I didn't dare to look up instead I hid my face deeper into the hood of my coat, and ignored his question.

I held my literature text book so tightly against my chest as if it would suddenly grow legs, and run away from me.

Pathetic I know.

The only thing in my line of vision was a pair of dark blue jeans and when I saw those lean legs begin to lower, I panicked.

Oh God ! No no he's kneeling!

I lowered my head even more as he kneeled in front of me. I jumped up a little when I felt his callused thumb caress my jaw and tilt my head up; forcing me to look at him.

I let out a breath of relief when I came face to face with Ayden.

I was still stuck in the same position, for some odd reason my body wasn't responding. It could have been the way Ayden Brooks green eyes held mine and didn't plan on letting go.

So I stared at him intently and noticed small specks of hazel surrounding his iris; blending so perfectly with the forest green color.

"Let me help you with those," he said breaking me out of my daze. His hands brushed with mine as he reached for my textbook, and grabbed it.

It was an odd sensation to feel the warmth of his touch, but it didn't give me that jolt of electricity like it did when I touched Ryan.

Still that didn't stop my face from flushing a bright red.

Ayden stood up straight and offered his hand out for me to reach. I took it and pulled myself up; dusting off my jeans and coat.

"Thanks," I pulled the hood away from me and tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear. Ayden smiled at me, before he bent down and grabbed my book bag.

"No problem," he simply said handing me both my bag and textbook.

I smiled sheepishly as I slid the bag on my shoulder, and shoved all the papers inside. When I looked up I found Ayden staring at me skeptically as if I had grown another head.

"What?" I asked, trying to keep the annoyance out of my voice. I didn't like when people stared, it made me feel uncomfortable, and self-conscious.

"Nothing," he shrugged his shoulders, "It's just, why are you so nervous?"

"I'm not nervous just in a hurry," I stated quickly.

He laughed, "Then why are you blushing?"

That made me blush further. I didn't even want to imagine how red my face  was, but I was sure it resembled a clowns nose.

Ayden soft fingers caressed my cheeks as he moved a lock of hair away from my face, "You're different from most girls here not only does that intrigue me but it makes me want to be closer to you."

I fought back the urge to roll my eyes, "I don't understand why now?"

He didn't expect that question, his body visibly stiffened, "I was always aware of you Avaly, but never had the courage to talk to you."

"What changed?" I asked nervously.

A small smirked formed on his lips, "I don't know Avaly, maybe the fact that you seem like a down to earth girl, or that I finally realized you're worth getting to know." 

I tried the suppress the smile threatening to form on my lips, and shifted my bag up on my shoulder, "I can say the same for you." 

He chuckled, "I'm glad."

I smiled a genuine smile, not the fake ones I always managed to pull off, "I'll see you around Brooks."

With that I turned and made my way to my next class, aware I was going to get a detention slip for being late. I decided to walk faster but stopped when I heard loud footsteps behind me.

"Hold up," Ayden shouted, and I slowly turned around to look at him. I don't know why I gawked at him as he ran towards me, maybe it was his hair swaying side to side so perfectly, or because it felt like I was watching a Calvin Klein commercial. 

Avaly stop staring at him like he's a cold beverage in the middle of a hot summer day, my subconscious reprimanded.

I checked if I had any drool before Ayden reached me.

When he finally did he stood so close to me, I could smell the tang of cologne and spice mixed together, "I've been wanting to ask you something?" he announced, I couldn't stop staring at the drops of sweat glistening his forehead; making him look even more attractive.

Ayden Brooks was the walking definition of handsome.

I continued staring at the perfection of a man who stood in front of me, and ended up taking in his facial features. A sculpted nose framed his face, followed by a sharp jaw line that could easily cut through glass, pink round lips, straight eyebrows, and the greenest forest eyes I've ever seen.

Yet, the only thing I could think about was how much better Ryan's facial features were, with his oh-so-kissable-plump lips, and a smile so white it shined brighter than the moonlight itself.

"Avaly?" Ayden waved a hand in front of my face.

"Sorry, you were saying?" I cleared my throat but ended up coughing hysterically.

Another day, another embarrassment in the life of Avaly Coleman.

Ayden looked genuinely concern for my well being and started patting my back awkwardly.

"You're as red as a lobster," he stated before retreating his hand from my back when I continued coughing, instead he pulled out a bottle of water from his bag. He handed it to me, and I immediately gulped the clear content down.

You're one thirsty girl, Ave.

"Feeling better?" Ayden asked in an amused tone, his eyes dancing with laughter.

"Much, thanks," I said sounding like a dead rooster, "what was it you wanted to tell me?"

"I've been wanting to ask you this for a while now," he began rubbing his hands over his dark blue jeans, "Would you like to go on a date with me?"

I couldn't hide my shock.

Ayden Freaking Brooks was asking me out on a date, me?

I wanted to smile, but instead it came out more like a grimace. A creepy one at that, the same ones you have nightmares about.

"So what do you say?" Ayden's lips were pressed together in a tight line, and his expression was one full of anticipation, and nervousness.

"Actually-" I was about to lie but then I thought about it why not? I needed this, to go out and meet someone new, and forget Ryan Lockhart ever existed, "that sounds like a great idea."

"You won't regret it Coleman," he smirked.

But deep down inside, it felt like I would.