Chapter Sixty-Two

It was nearly six by the time Kelly was angling the Durango into the driveway. The snow had stopped and the main roads were plowed, but Longhill was still slippery and she didn't breathe easily until she rocked to a halt behind her Jeep.

Deirdre sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Are we home?"

"We're home." Kelly turned to pat Shane's knee. "Wake up, baby. We're home."

"I'm awake, Mom. My eyes just sting and it feels better to keep them closed."

"You've both had a long day. Why don't I make you some soup or something and tuck you both into bed."

Deirdre smiled. "I don't know if we have any soup, but I bet there's Chinese left over from dinner last night."

"Okay, if that's what you want. That's fine." Kelly pushed open her door and eased down into the snow. "Shane?"

"Chinese is fine, Mom." Shane hopped down, wincing as he hit the ground. "My whole body hurts."

"It will for a few days." Kelly set the alarm and flipped through her keys to her house key. "I promise you, you'll feel a little better each day."

The house was dark, but warm and welcoming and Kelly sighed as she flipped on the foyer lights. "So, why don't you both go on up while I call your dad to let him know we made it home okay."

"If you want to go back to the hospital, Shane and I will be fine here." Deirdre looked over at Shane. "Won't we?"

He nodded. "Sure. Can I watch a movie in your room with you, Dee?"

"Yeah. I'll reheat the chow mein and the egg rolls and we can watch The Avengers."

"Pajamas on first," Kelly called as Shane started for the stairs.

"Okay, Mom!"

He went up and Kelly glanced over at Deirdre. Dark smudges ringed beneath her eyes and the bruise on her cheek seemed darker. Her wrist had been wrapped in an Ace bandage. She moved a little slower than usual, and looked as if she could use a solid night's sleep. "You don't have to let him watch--"

"It's okay, Kelly," Deirdre broke in with a smile. "I kinda don't mind the company. Besides, I like The Avengers. Chris Hemsworth is a hottie."

"Okay. You go on up and I'll bring your dinner up when it's reheated."

"Thanks, Kelly."

"Sure." She went into the kitchen while Deirdre headed upstairs, and as she dug out the white boxes, her stomach tossed like mad, bringing a sour taste to her mouth. She swallowed hard against the brackishness, but it was no use. The box of rice hit the granite counter as she bolted for the powder room off the kitchen.

It was the first time in her pregnancy that she actually vomited, and she dropped to her knees from the force of it. Sweat prickled all along her back and forehead as she heaved, and when she finally finished, she sank against the wall, gasping for breath.

Shock, no doubt. Shock. Upset. Worry. It was one of the longest days of her life, second only to the afternoon Chisholm walked into Tony's office with a handgun.

It seemed to take a lifetime before her stomach stopped leaping and rolling, but finally it did and she dragged in a ragged breath, closing her eyes. She started when the phone rang, and managed to get up and get to it. "Hello?"

"Good, you're home." Relief flooded Tony's voice. "I was getting worried."

"Sorry, honey," she said, sagging back against the counter. "My stomach is unhappy with me."