Chapter Twenty-Nine

All day Saturday, Kelly wrestled with what to tell Tony. Part of her just wanted to say yes, but then the other part wanted to know if Tony meant they moved in with him and the girls, or if he wanted to house hunt for someplace new. Either way, it would mean leaving the only home her children had ever known.

Not to mention, she had Alyssa and Shane to think of as well. While she could just tell them they were moving, whether they liked it or not, she didn't want to do that to them. It didn't seem right to just spring it on them.

So, when she came into the kitchen carrying a laundry basket and saw them at the table, she set down the basket. "Guys, there's something we need to discuss. Ultimately, the decision is mine, but I want to know what you think about it as well."

Alyssa looked up from her iPhone. "What is it, Mom?"

"Yeah, Mom," Shane chimed, setting down his DS.

She tugged out a chair and sank into it. "How would you feel about living with Tony and his daughters?"

Alyssa just stared at her. "Are you serious, Mom?"

She nodded. "Tony asked us to live with him. And I wanted to know how you guys felt about it before I made up my mind."

Shane closed the DS, a little Mario voice saying, "Ow, my head!" as it shut. Usually it made Shane smile, but not this time. He was every bit the serious little man as he said, "So, he'd be like a dad to us?"

"Well, you still have your dad, of course, but he'd be the next best thing." She looked from Shane to Alyssa. "So, what do you think, Lyssa?"

Alyssa half-smiled. "I like Dee. And Amy is cool. It'd be like having sisters, so I think I'd be okay with it."

"Would we move from here?" Shane asked softly.

Kelly nodded. "Yes."

He sighed and looked around at the spacious kitchen. When he was smaller, he loved boxes and somewhere, she had video of him in a vaporizer box, with Alyssa pushing him across the kitchen floor. This room saw so much of their lives--birthdays, family meetings, homework, meals. It would be weird, sitting in a different kitchen every morning.

But on the other hand, the kitchen in Tony's house was gorgeous, with plenty of workspace, a double oven--which she'd coveted since the moment she saw it--and more cabinet space than she'd ever seen. His yard was at least twice the size of hers, and his nearest neighbor was a half mile away. While she loved her house, during the summer, she always knew when the Clarys were fighting or when the Montgomery boys were home from college.

Not to mention, Tony came with his house.

She smiled. There was something to be said about waking up with him, versus waking up alone. About falling asleep with him every night, instead of falling asleep alone. She'd been single long enough to know that it wasn't just a warm body, but his warm body. It wasn't just falling asleep with a man, but with this particular man.

When she was first considering filing for divorce from Dan, she went to her mother for advice. They sat down over tea and when Kelly admitted she'd been to see a lawyer, her mother gave her the most serious look she'd ever seen and asked, "Do you see yourself waking up with anyone or with Dan?"

To which Kelly said, "He doesn't have a face, Mom. I just... I don't know."

The more she thought about it, the more she realized what her mother was saying. A faceless man could be anyone, as long as she wasn't alone. If it was Dan, then she still felt something for him, no matter how faint.