Chapter Twenty-Three: Visitors

When Rachel opened her eyes again, things weren't as fuzzy. From the white walls to the bright lights to the cushy, elevated bed and, last but not least, the pain from her back almost gone, she assumed she was at a hospital, probably the one nearby campus. A white patient gown clad her body and a blanket draped over her legs. Two thick pillows comforted her head. She shifted her face to the left and on the side chair was her mother, sleeping against the armrest. Rachel's forehead wrinkled at the sight of her mother; she wondered how long she'd been unconscious.

"Mom?" Rachel called her. And as if she sensed Rachel's awaking, her mother indeed raised her head. Her eyes squinted open and then widened in amazement. She jetted up from the chair.

"Alex, call the doctor!" she said, shaking Alex, who was right beside her. He yawned, but then soon processed what was going on before he left the room.

"How long have I been... sleeping?" Rachel muttered.

"For three days," Rachel's mother replied. "Your friend, Josie, called me. We flew here as soon as possible. Your father tried to be here too, but his flight was delayed. I believe he'll be here this evening."

"Okay," Rachel said and forced a weak smile.

"You've been through a lot, huh?" her mother said, rubbing her shoulder.

"Ow!" Rachel yelped, wincing in pain.

"Oh, sorry, I forgot," Rachel's mother said, backing away, and at that very moment the doctor came into the room with Alex.

After the doctor did a quick check on her and nodded his head that everything was okay for now, he told Rachel he'd do further tests on her soon before he left the room. Rachel spoke to Alex, who appeared to be just as worried as her mother. She gave him a final hug before he announced he was really hungry. Rachel formed a thin smile at his statement; Alex was back to his typical teenage self again, ready to eat just about any and everything. Rachel's mother explained to him where the cafeteria was. He flashed a wave at Rachel who returned a feeble wave back at him. She was now alone with her mother.

"Just remembered... I have something to tell you," Rachel's mother said as if the information just popped into her head. "A girl... Alyssa, that's the name... told me to tell you something about clearing up your name. She looked really concerned. Her pretty face was pale with dark shadows beneath her eyes when she checked up on you. She told me she's writing an article about what happened and she wouldn't mention anything about the Hausefalles..."

When Rachel heard the Hausefalles would be omitted from the explanation of what occurred, Rachel felt a heavy load lifted off her shoulders. She didn't want any more attention on the Hausefalles; she didn't want them to relive the past again.

"She also mentioned there would be a remembrance of the students that lost their lives next Saturday. She prayed that you wouldn't be included in the lost. In fact, a planned massive prayer for your recovery was included in the event... Oh, honey, I'm so glad you're okay now," her mother said and gave Rachel a huge hug while trying to avoid touching her right shoulder blade. Rachel heard her mother's sniffing nose. She could tell she tried with all her might not to cry. Rachel realized also that her mother hadn't questioned her for any details and Rachel was so glad she didn't. She needed a break, a rest from remembering such horror she harbored throughout this semester.

Now, as she hugged her mother, it truly was a touching, grateful moment in the serene hospital room. Till a cellphone chimed within a handbag on Alex's chair. Rachel's mother let go of her as she gently lay back on the bed. Her mother removed the cell phone and glanced at the screen. She strode out of the room, obviously not wanting Rachel to hear the conversation, and disappeared around the corner. Rachel thought nothing of it. She turned and stared at the distant window. The early afternoon sun basked the vividly green treetops. Out there everything looked so normal, like Rachel hadn't just awoken from a coma minutes ago. Rushed footsteps against the white tile floor shifted Rachel's attention back to the door. Her mother entered.