Chapter Eighteen: The Worst News

Rachel perched on the bench for almost an hour as the two security guards and Officer Willy stood by her. Officer Willy had already gotten information about what occurred in her apartment and in the library. When the female security guard came out of the library, she reported she didn't see any person with a burlap mask. She gazed at Rachel as if she might have imagined the whole thing.

"I'm not seeing things; he was in there." Rachel scowled at the female security guard.

"No one's saying you are," Officer Willy said reassuringly. Rachel didn't buy his false support. It almost seemed he recited it from an instruction book on how to handle a delusional person.

"You will be assigned a permanent security guard to watch over you, twenty-four seven," Officer Willy said. Rachel wasn't so sure about this, but she knew she needed it.

"Have you found Kyle yet?" Rachel asked Officer Willy.

"We're still on it," Officer Willy replied.

So, the answer is no, Rachel thought. The officers aren't any closer to finding him than she is safe from his frenzy. Officer Willy told the two security guards he would take it from here. They exchanged farewells before they went back to the library.

"Officer Charles Brouwer will follow you where ever you go to," Officer Willy said. "Speaking of which, here he comes."

Rachel spun around. He remained the same, although he wasn't wearing his uniform this time around. Instead, he sported crisp, black pants and a mocha shirt. His sunshades rested at the top of his nose.

"We meet again, Miss Evans," he said with his deep, smooth voice. He stretched out his hand and Rachel shook it. She wasn't sure if he was joking around or he actually meant it. Officer Willy rolled his eyes. Rachel sensed he was tired of his swagger.

"In all seriousness, not even a mosquito will attack you again," Office Willy spoke. "I promise you that. It will be his worst day if he ever tries to mess with you again." Rachel surveyed Officer Charles with her eyes. She already felt safe in his presence, as he appeared to be serious about it.

Officer Willy patted Officer Charles's shoulder in parting and reassured Rachel again. She nodded and smiled weakly.

"I was told this creep burst into your apartment and now attacked you at the library?" Officer Charles questioned her.

"Yes, he wore burlap over his head and—" Rachel said, but stopped when her cell rang. She removed it from her pocket. It was Dominic. She quickly answered it. She glanced at Officer Charles. It was obvious she needed her privacy despite his job. Officer Charles respectfully backed away, giving her some space while still able to watch over her. She spoke with Dominic, gushing out everything that happened at the library. Dominic wanted to meet her and Rachel decided to meet at the café.

Rachel stood up from her bench and Officer Charles left his position, following her. Some students noticed the officer and thought nothing of it, as he appeared to be a young, hip professor. He was distanced enough not to bring attention to Rachel. She held the strap of her pack. Dominic was already at the café when she arrived. He rushed toward her; both his palms glued on her cheeks. He then planted a kiss on her lips, let go of her cheeks, and held her right hand. Rachel held tight to him as feeble, happy tears edged out of her eyes. Officer Charles wasn't far from the scene.

"I was at the music library," Dominic said. "You want to go there instead?" Rachel simply nodded her head. The music library was close to the music department where Dominic mostly stayed on campus. The building is glass paneled rather than bricks like the main library. She goes there from time to time to meet him, but not lately, though. After all, she didn't want Kyle to target him. This time Rachel was sure she and Dominic were safe, especially with a police officer following them.