Chapter Eight: A Visitor

Two weeks had passed since Rachel and Alyssa first met at the library for their business plan presentation. Rachel and Alyssa saw each other at least once a week, mainly on the weekend. At one time, Alyssa asked her if she could go over to her place instead of the library to talk about the project, but Rachel declined nicely. She also offered her own place, but Rachel refused. She didn't want to risk being seen with her. She still remained cautious of her surroundings, although nothing odd occurred. As for the local campus news, the reporter stated that the police officers were still investigating the case and everyone on campus should be aware of their surroundings. Throughout her lonely existence, Rachel was busy with schoolwork and her duties at the coffee shop. Surprisingly, those duties kept her busy, almost taking her concerns off her mind. Now, Rachel sat in the parlor of her apartment, finishing her finance assignment online. She left work early due to the length of time she needed to complete it.

The starlit night had since spread across the threatening sky. It seemed like it was going to rain. Beside her laptop, Rachel gripped the handle of her bloated mug and sipped it before placing it down on the coffee table. She curled her light brownish hair behind her left ear, pondering on the other things she had to do after she was done with finance. It took her about twenty more minutes before she pressed the send button, emailing her assignment to her professor. And with that out of the way, Rachel stood up to take a mini break. In the kitchenette she brought out a red apple from the refrigerator just as a resounding knock came from the main door.

"Who could that be?" Rachel said, shutting the refrigerator door. She dropped the apple on the countertop and approached the door. Another series of knocks sounded. Rachel rushed and looked through the eyehole. She was taken aback by what she saw. She swiftly unbolted the door.

"Alyssa, how did you know I live here?" Rachel asked. Alyssa, who was looking elsewhere, turned to face Rachel.

"My goodness, Rachel—what a relief! I didn't know you lived here," Alyssa said.

"Why are you here?" Rachel said and then she took a quick scan around the area, praying no one was watching them. It seemed like no one was, but it was dark, after all.

"My car—it's broken down so I came to this complex to see if someone could help me," Alyssa said. "I need to use a phone, forgot my cell at my place. Can I come in?" Rachel read a hint of attitude in the way she requested her help, but Rachel let her inside. She quickly closed the door and then pulled the curtain a bit to make sure no one was out there. It was still quiet and dark.

"Thanks," Alyssa replied. Rachel couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic or not. She let go of the curtain and turned to Alyssa, who was searching for something, probably her telephone.

"You can use my cell phone; I don't really have a main phone here," Rachel said. She fished for it in her backpack. Alyssa thanked her before she took out a card from her pocket. She dialed the number on the card and distanced herself from Rachel, speaking eagerly. She cursed underneath her breath and hung up the phone.

"What's wrong?" Rachel said.

"They won't be able to fix my car till tomorrow morning. Someone will be here in two hours to tow it," Alyssa said. "I don't know what to do. I got a little scared out there alone. After all, there is someone killing students."

"Yeah, I know," Rachel replied quietly.

"What am I going to do?" Alyssa said. "How am I going to get home?"

"Call a friend to take you home," Rachel suggested.

"I don't remember any of their numbers," Alyssa said glumly. "I installed them on my phone without memorizing." Rachel could tell by Alyssa's puppy eyes that she wanted to stay here.