Chapter 2: The First Date

PLEASE COMMENT!!!!

Chapter 2:  First Date

Riley had been out shopping today. I thought she meant groceries when she said shopping. That’s why I was surprised when she came home in a short, yet classy black dress paired with hot pink stilettos and a small silver clutch that hadn’t belonged to her hours before.  

The shock must have shown through in my emotion because she smiled her I-know-look-hot Riley smile.

“So? Am I just amazingly sexy, Lala?” she winked and did a small spin-around, almost tripping over the heels, because the closest she has came to heels since her teenage years were tiny wedges.

For being twenty-eight years old, she did look remarkably young and sexy (I know tweny-eight is young, but she looked around twenty-one at most). 

“I can’t answer that question because of two reasons: one, you are my sister; two, I’m not really into girls…” Riley gave me an oh-come-on! look. I laughed.

“Ha, okay, yes you look fan-tab-u-listic!” 

She smiled.

“I know I look great if you’re going to make up words” Then two things hit me: one, she isn’t usually this bubbly.  Two, she hasn’t got so dressed up since my middle school graduation. I am now a sophomore.

“What’s with the getup Ri?” she looked down with a smile a kid would give his mom if he got a sticker on his paper. She took her freshly manicured hand and toyed with a curled lock of hair. I gave her a questioning look. She looked up and bit her lip trying to hide her ear-to-ear smile. What in the world could make her so happy? I finally realized the second before she told me.

“I’ve got a date, Lala.” A flood of emotions came crashing down on me. Happiness, excitement, jittery-ness, relief, and  anxiety.  The biggest smile possible spread across both our lips.

I got up from my spot on the brown and teal love-seat in the living room to give her a bone crushing hug. Riley gasped out

“Lala, I’m excited too, but I won’t be able to go if you kill me now.” I released and took a step back. “His name is Rider, and he’s such a gentleman, I met him a week ago at Java La Bean.” Java La Bean, a coffee shop on the good side of town, was considered pretty darn classy around the bad side of Garlet (as the good side calls Craplet), but the good side just considers it a coffee shop.

“When did you go there?” I tried to remember her saying something about going there, but nothing came to mind.

“It was the night you were staying with Jenny,”

 Jenny, my best and only friend, lived on the good side of town, the same side that I went to school at. Riley was determined I get a good education. Everyone at school just thought of me as trash because I lived in Craplet. But not Jenny. She was different. And it’s not like she was an unpopular nerdy girl that couldn’t get another friend. She was just genuinely kind, and got to know me for me.

“So when are you goin’ on the date?” I asked, kind of already knowing the answer, but asking to humor her.

“Tonight…” she replied kind of guiltily. Even though I knew, I was shocked to hear her say it. We shared absolutely everything. i uttered out an

“And… you didn’t tell me.” I didn’t say it as a question, but she felt the need to reply.

“I’m sorry, I just got so caught up in it, and was so excited, and…” she was rambling. I cut her off. 

“No, it’s okay. I’m just glad you have a date and you’re happy,”. She smiled in relief, glad she’d been forgiven.  She smiled bigger.

“Me too. Well wish me luck; we’re going to a fancy-shmancy restaurant out of town!” She must be so excited. I wished her luck and she left.

                                                                                ***

I heard from my bedroom a car pull up, stop, then the doors shut. I ran up to my window to try to see this Rider guy from the great view my room had. I could only see his silhouette. He kisses my sister on the cheek, and walked back to his car. Riley let out a breath that had most likely been held for a while, then stepped inside. I ran to my door, opened it, and ran out. She had a huge smile. She went on for a half an hour how great he was. I was thinking the same thing the whole time: I have got to meet this guy that has made my sister so happy.