Hey There Greenie

(A/N : so this book is going to be half way based off the book and half based off the movie, so sorry if that's confusing)

*Sydney's POV*

~flashback~

The sound of screeching metal fills my ears as the floor starts lurching upward. I fall back and grab onto the sides of the metal box I was trapped in.
My name is Sydney.
That's all I could remember. I knew what things were, I knew about Christmas trees, and movies, and ice cream, but I had no memory of times I encountered them or of the people I spent the memories with. I look up and see a ceiling that I was headed straight for. I let out a small scream before it jerks to a stop. The ceiling opens up and so does the top of the cage. It reveals a blue sky and two boys. One was pale with dirty blonde hair and light brown eyes. The other, had darker skin, not enough hair to tell the color, and dark brown eyes.

"Hey there, greenie," the blonde one says with a thick accent. He offers me his hand before pulling me up out of the retched box.

"I'm Newt. You remember your name?"

"Sydney. My name is Sydney,"

~end of flashback~

I was working at my job with the medjacks. I was the keeper. But, the alarm sounding interrupts everyone's work. We all run to the box to see the wheels spinning. I meet Newt and Alby at the front of the crowd. The lid opens and the each grab a side of the box, lifting up its lid too. A boy with brown hair, tan skin, and honey-brown eyes sits at the bottom. He was actually pretty cute. Gally jumps down into the box.

"Day one greenie," he says, lifting him up out of the box. He looks up at everybody, a frightened look on his face. Of course, even though I was tougher than most guys in the glade, I'm normally the one that gets greenies to calm down. I crouch down next to him.

"Hey," I whisper while guys behind me shout 100 different things at him. "What's your name?"

"T-Thomas," he says. I smile at him.

"Well, Thomas, I'm Sydney, how bout I show you around?" Me and Newt had equal power, leaving us tied for second-in-command. I had a weak spot for the new guys, so I gave them the tour unless I had a job that was extremely important. I grab Thomas' hand and pull him up off the ground.

"Chuck!" I yell behind me. Soon enough, the chubby little guy pipes up behind me. "Hey, can you go ahead and set up hammock for Thomas? Put it near yours," I say. He nods and runs off. Alby comes up behind me.

"Mind if I tag along?" He asks.

"Of course not. Thomas, this is Alby. The one in charge around here," I say. He nods.

"Look, I know this is scary as hell. But everyone one of us has been through it. You'll adjust in a little bit,"

"You know she's normally not like this. Every guy in this glade is scared of her," Alby says. Thomas gives me a confused look. I smile.

"What can I say? The only weak spot I have is saved up for the new greenies," Thomas smiles at me. We show him around to all the places he needs to know.

"What's out there?" He asks, looking out to maze. Alby and I both purse our lips together.

"Come on, greenie, I'll show you where you're sleeping tonight," I say, nodding my head to the side, motioning for him to come with. He follows, but he keeps looking back at the maze doors. I lead him to Chuck's hammock. Chuck is finishing one right next to it.

"Thomas, this is Chuck. The greenie before you. Like a little brother to me, and possibly one of the best friends you'll make in the glade. He'll answer some more questions for you," I say. I give one last smile before walking back to the homestead. I had a room to myself, being the only girl had some perks. Not only that, but I was the third one here, so I would've had a room anyway. A rather loud knock on my door turns my attention. I walk over and open it to see a pissed off Gally.

"What the hell is wrong now?" I ask.

"I don't like the new guy. I've seen him before,"

"What the hell are you talking about? You don't have anymore memories than the rest of us,"

"The changing! When I got stung I saw him,"

"You mean when you were out of your shucking mind?"

"Sydney, I telling you somethings off about this guy!"

"God, Gally, just leave me alone,"

"No, not until you agree with me," He says, walking in.

"Get out before I go get Alby and he makes you get out. You know the shucking rule. No one's allowed in here unless I say they can be,"

"Sydney! You -"

"Alby!" I scream.

"Oh come on,"

"You've got about 5 seconds before he's here. I suggest you leave," But right after I finish my sentence, Alby's in the doorway.

"Gally, what the shuck are you doing? You know the rules," He says.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm leaving," He says. He gets up and walks into the hall, "Just think about what I said, Sydney," and he's gone

"You alright, Syd?" Alby asks. I only let 4 people call me Syd. Alby, Newt, Frypan, and Chuck.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Just keep him out of my room," I say. He nods.

"Look. I'm gonna explain the rules to the greenie. Wanna come?"

"Sure," I follow him to find Thomas. We find him, and bring him up to the roof of the homestead.

"All of this. This is the glade. It's all we have," I say, looking out at the view.

"This is all of it?" Thomas asks.

"Mhm. But, we have rules so we can keep it the way it is," Alby says.

"One. Always do your part," I say.

"Two. Never harm another glader," Alby continues.

"And Three. Never go beyond those walls," I finish.

"Now, we've also got some rules to keep her safe," Alby says.

"One. Never go in my room without my permission," I say.

"Two. Never go into her bathroom, unless she allows it," Alby says.

"Three. If my door is closed, you don't open it unless I say 'come in'"

"And Four. There's a wooden box specially marked for her every month. You never open it,"

"Now those firts set of rules, have harsh punishments if you break them,"

"The last set, if you slightly break them, it's just the pit - sometimes. But, if you ever harshly break them. Harsh punishments. Banishment even," He nods.

"Y-Yeah, I get it. I'll follow the rules," I smile at him.

"Now, go back and find Chuck. Like I said, he's gonna end up like a little bro to you, like he is to all of us," He nods, and climbs back down the ladders. I watch him as he walks away.

"You like him, don't you, Syd?"

"There's just - something different about him,"