Chapter Twelve

(Hope you all have been enjoying so far!)

The night came swiftly after they parted, Alexei being forced to return to the ring for the ceremony and Feli needing to get ready for that nights feast. She wore a lovely dress of silver and violet with two of her banners, Talia had gotten two of them back from Alexei, around her wrists. Her hair had been brushed till it was smooth as silk once more and left free except for two pins by her ears to keep the long strands from getting into her face. While Talia dressed her, they chatted about what Alexei might ask for…

“I think he will ask for something from you, Feli. He seems quite taken with you.” Talia’s laughter was infectious and Feli smiled in return, shaking her head. “No, we are just friends; I doubt he would do something to ruin that… He is quite childlike though, maybe he will ask for sweets!” Talia tapped Feli on the back of the head for the comment. “Not everyone is like you, only thinking with their stomachs. He is a Prince…maybe he will ask for lands or trade of some sort.” Feli had to admit that it seemed reasonable enough but…it just didn’t seem like something he would do. “Well, we won’t find out by sitting here wondering, now will we? Put your shoes on and you can go find out in person at the banquet!” Feli laughed and slipped on the silver heels, she would have time enough to chat with her maid later, for now she had obligations to deal with.

When she entered the hall, many people were milling about, chatting amiably and waiting for this event to officially take place. It wouldn’t be nearly as formal as the Winter Gala but still it was an event riddled with the masks of nobility and honor. As she entered the hall, some glanced up and smiled, others nodded to her while many, mainly women, scowled at her. She had expected this for the same had happened last year though it seemed worse this year if she did say so. When Bren had won under her banner, many women had become bitter because of his obvious affections even though it was still unknown as to if it was just friendship or more. Now though, she not only had Bren who had still ridden under Beldan if not specifically for her and the Prince of Nyek who had ridden for her and her alone. The fact that he had won and made a show of it exacerbated the situation indefinitely.

Feli had perfect timing for just as she grabbed a flute of Champaign, King Harold, Queen Adrianna, King Gregory, Queen Matilda and Prince Alexei entered the hall to start the ceremony. There wasn’t too much grandeur to be had and Feli was only required to stand beside Alexei as he was her champion while he greeted the Royal families and asked for his compensation. When she stood beside him, she could see an odd emotion floating in his frozen gaze…it made her shiver in a way that wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good either. When he bowed lowly to both Kings and kissed the hands of the Queen, the flicker in his eyes intensified and when he voiced what he wanted, Feli almost laughed. “Sweets…a life time supply of Reickian sweets!” His chirp startled Harold as he had obviously been expecting anything besides this.

“Is that really all you want? Nothing other than some sweets?” Harold seemed incredulous but if that was what Alexei truly wanted, he would give it to the lad who had defeated the previous champion. Alexei tilted his head to the side and Feli could see his eyes turn to ice as the childish smile slipped off his face. “Well…in that case, what I want is the legendary Fire Orb of Reicks. The giant ruby that was given to this nation after the great war by Beldan…I want to give it to my mother.” His voice was cold and filled with something close to contempt as he spoke the words and silence filled the room as everyone waited to see if the King would grant Alexei his wish. “Well…the rules do state you are free to ask for anything…” he looked at King Gregory. “The ruby was given to us by Beldan; it is only right for you to dictate if we can give it the young Prince of Nyek.” The hesitation was noted by Feli and her parents as all eyes turned to King Gregory.

Gregory looked down to his daughter and she dutifully stepped up next to Alexei. “Prince Alexei fought under my banner, despite the strangeness of this request, he rode for the Princess of Beldan therefore Beldan should be the one to grace him with a gift.” She turned to Alexei. “I think giving the Ruby to Prince Alexei will prove that Beldan does indeed recognize those who fight for it, regardless of the nation they hail from.” She cast a sideways glance at her father only to see him grumbling lightly at her words and narrowed her eyes slightly as soon as she caught his stormy grey ones. “That is, we will honor it if we are still the nation of justice we consider ourselves to be.” She could see her mother stifling a laugh and her father heave a sigh before turning to Harold. “My daughter is right, if we denied him this request, we would be spreading hypocrisy and that would shame our nation. I think the young man deserves it for giving such an incredible performance so you have Beldan’s blessing to give him the Ruby.” Harold nodded to Gregory before sending his guards to go retrieve the precious gem. The item was undeniably amazing and beautiful but Feli did have to wonder why Alexei wished to present it to his mother…it didn’t seem like it would have as much value since it wasn’t being given by Beldan herself to the Empire of Nyek…