Chapter 11

(Hope you are all enjoying this, thank you! Please review/vote!)

 Feli made her way through the crowd that had gathered around the large arena and towards the red and black pavilion that was set aside for the Beldanian Royalty. The platform that held three comfortable chairs and a few small tables containing finger food and drinks was blocked off with long ribbons to keep the commoners from climbing in unless invited and multiple soldiers who made up the traveling party stood guard. They moved aside and helped Feli up onto the platform where her parents sat, watching her with concerned eyes. “Feli! There you are; we have been worried sick. You stormed off like that without saying a word and no one knew where you would go if not to Bren!” Feli frowned lightly before nodding slowly. “I was with the Prince of Nyek.” At her words, both her parents froze and glanced at each other but she ignored them. “Since I hadn’t seen him much since the ball, I thought it only right to pay him a visit. We were talking and lost track of time.” She claimed her seat and then pretended to remember something. “Oh, yes he is competing today in case you hadn’t heard.” She smiled at them and Gregory just shook his head, giving a sigh at his daughter’s words. “You should be more careful around that man. Nyek is an odd country after all…” Feli just nodded at his words for they were true, she should be careful but she couldn’t bring herself to distrust Alexei. Her mother on the other hand just smiled. “I see you favors are gone, who are the ones riding under your banner?” Feli noted that none of her mother’s personal banners was taken and that all of the Beldanian banners were still there, minus the one she gave to Bren.

“Yes, Alexei asked for them.” Her mother’s eyes widened and it took Feli a moment to realize she had called him by his first name with no title. “I see, so you are on a first name bases with him…and he took all of them, you say?” At Matilda’s words, Gregory scowled but said nothing for he knew all too well that there was no way to change Feli’s mind once she had decided on something. “Yes, all. He said he didn’t want anyone else riding under the same banner as he and requested all of them.” She smiled at the thought and her mother had no choice but to accept them. Before either parent could speak up again, a trumpet blared, signaling the start of the games. All eyes turned to the arena with its fence and high bleachers. The railing in the middle was decorated with numerous ribbons to give it a bit of flare since this competition was much more important than the regular practices.

An announcer stepped out into the center of the ring with Bren at his side and all chatter died down so the man could speak. “The time has come for us to hold our annual Jousting Competition! Last year’s Champion, Bren Strussten, will be awaiting the top participant for the final battle. The Grand Prize this year will be a wish granted by the great King of Reicks, His Majesty Harold Reicks!” Harold stood up from his own pavilion at the head of the arena and gave a few shallow bows to the cheers of his people. Once he had reclaimed his seat, the arena was quiet once more. “From here on, at the signal, the contestants will joust against each other, one on one, until there is only one participant left. Each round will continue until one of the men is knocked from their horse. Now, let us have our first contestants!” The announcer went on to call forward the first pair who went at it for two rounds before one man was knocked from his steed. Each horse was wearing a heavy swatch of fabric holding the colors of the man’s family or the colors of his country. Some who were not soldier or a part of a noble family had their steads wearing heavy chainmail to protect them just in case one of the lance tips broke. Feli watched the early matches with an air of boredom as she eagerly awaited hearing Alexei’s name called out. After watching six matches and politely clapping for six winners, the foreign Prince’s name was finally called out and he certainly didn’t disappoint.

Alexei rode into the arena and circled the outside at a gallop before turning to the center and pulling up short, causing the great beast he rode to rear up. It certainly was a great beast he rode, as well. The dappled silver horse reminded Feli of the moon’s surface with its white face and multihued coat. The long blanket covering most of the stallion’s glorious hide was died a deep black with white stripes and his chest was covered with metal plating that shone. The horse’s long mane was a darker silver color, as was its tail and when he lowered down to stand on all four hooves; you could tell that this steed was just as imposing as the man upon his back. Said man’s long black cape blew gently as it caught the wind, the sun making it shine while the contrast of the embroidery and of his very hair made it seem dangerous. Alexei wore no helmet or gauntlets, only a black tunic with chainmail over it and the mandatory leather vest that would protect him from serious injury. He did have on heavy leather riding gloves to protect his hands, one of which gripped the hilt of the heavy black lance. The lacquered wood gleamed with polish in the light and, through three holes in the staff, the heavy, iron rings holding her favors clanked softly as the fabric caught the same wind as Alexei’s cape. His snow white hair shifted with the breeze and it’s messily cut locks fluttered into his eyes but Alexei made no move to brush the strands out of the way, instead, he kept his eyes glued to Feli.