Chapter Five

(Hi everyone! I just wanted to say thank you to anyone who has been reading this story...I know it's not much but I just wanted to say thanks! I also wanted to ask if maybe anyone who is reading this could write a review or comment or anything! ^w^ thank chuuu~)

Death does not become you; the blood of war is striking against the innocence we once clung to; the innocence we used to give reason to our love. Give up this painful innocence and embrace this bitter darkness…for in this darkness is the only place we can be together again…

~/~

She waited outside the large doors to the throne room. Hilda had disappeared within those doors a few moments before and now, all Feli had to do was study the stone of the floor. No servants walked passed, the guard would not speak to her and she was ordered not to move from the spot so she couldn’t explore. Sliding down the wall slowly, Feli wondered how she could be so tired after just waking up. It felt like there was just too much going on and it drained all of her energy. “Well you look mighty strange!” Her head snapped up at the voice, coming face to face with a child of about eight with warm brown eyes and auburn hair. “Huh?” As eloquent as that sounded, Feliks was slightly shocked that anyone had even spoken to her. “What’s a boy like you doing sitting in front of the throne room? Aren’t you a servant, shouldn’t you be doing something?” Feli wrapped her thin arms about her knees, pulling them to her chest and looking away from the other girl. “I’m not a servant. I was told to wait here for my maid until she was done talking to your King.” The girl’s eyes went wide at the response and she put her tiny hands on her hips. “Maid? You have one? You’re one of the noble brats then, no wonder you’re so mopey! Cheer up, you have money, you should be happy instead of whining about some toy or something or other.” Feliks was shocked. None had ever treated her like that nor had she ever heard of someone calling a noble child a brat. She couldn’t help it, she burst out laughing, startling the other child.

“I-haha-I’m not a noble of Reicks. My name is…” she debated quickly whether to give the girl her real name but decided it would be harmless. “Feliciana Lidia Beldan.” As soon as the final name left her lips, she watched the girl’s eyes go wide as she quickly dropped to her knees before the princess. “I…you…you’re the princess! You’re the princess from Beldan that we were all told would be coming to live here! Oh dear….I’m sorry Princess! I didn’t mean to be rude! You have every right to be mopey considerin’ everything…” The girl trailed off as though unsure what to say. Feli’s lips curved up into a soft and warm smile that reached her purple eyes; gentling their hard amethyst color to a warm violet. “Refreshing…I liked it. Would you mind telling me your name? I…I would like to have at least one friend here, if you don’t mind being friends with a pitiful he/she.” She giggled softly and waited for the girl to answer. “I’m Talia, I am the daughter of one of the servants but I’m too young to work so I don’t think anyone will mind if I keep you company!” Feli smiled and stuck her hand out, grabbing the other girl’s and shaking forcefully. “It’s settled then, we will be friends. You can call me Feli and I will call you Tali.” At the younger child’s nod, Feli smiled brightly. Suddenly, things seemed a little more normal. If the people here were as nice as Talia then maybe it wouldn’t be so bad! All too soon though, her peaceful moment was shattered with the creak of the heavy doors and a stern looking Hilda stepping out.

“I was told to take you to your rooms, Princess. The King will see you at dinner and you are expected to wear the formal attire of a girl.” She seemed bitter about it, at least Feli could count on Hilda to have her best interest at heart. “Come, you may rest in your new quarters and unpack as you will, Dinner will not be for another few hours.” She stood slowly, waving slightly at Talia who blinked slowly at the retreating figures. Feliciana looked so sad to her… When they had rounded the corner, Feli finally spoke to her old maid. “What is going on, Hilda?” Feli’s voice was lowered, the tone sounding much too serious for any child but Hilda paid it no mind. “That old coot was so eager to meet you but that foolish wife of his forced him into a bunch of different duties. Then she suggested that since you were a princess, you should be wearing formal dresses fit for your rank and ‘duty’.” Hilda spat the last word angrily. “No one even knows what your duty is! That pompous woman….can’t even give the King children yet acts like she’s so important.” Feli’s pace slowed slightly at the revelation. “He has no children?” That certainly caught her attention. “Yes, that is why he was so excited to meet you. He said it would be like finally having a daughter and he hoped you would come to see him as an uncle of sorts.” Feliks couldn’t help but smile. Out of all the scary thought she had, this was something she had never thought of. “Consider the King your Uncle, he is a good man, but beware his wife. She is a cynical, calculating woman who would have no problem having you assassinated. Choose carefully whom you keep by your side, Feliciana.” She nodded slowly, her mind already thinking ahead.