Dinner With A Vampire. Did I Mention I'm Vegetarian? (7)

Start from the beginning

"You humans, so frail," he said, shaking his head.

"Whatever bloodsucker. So how do you kill a vampire then?" I retorted.

"Push a stake through his heart, break and bite his neck, suck him dry, and then burn the remains. But you can leave out the stake," he explained, a wicked look in his eyes.

"Brutal." I said, between mouthfuls of the toast I was still munching.

"Can you turn into a bat?" I asked, trying to look serious.

"No." His lips quivered, and I could tell he was trying not to laugh.

"Can you cross running water?"

"Yes."

"Can you enter a house uninvited?"

"No."

"Why?" I asked, surprised.

"Because that is just rude." He said, and then burst into laughter, the joyous sound filling the whole room. I punched him playfully on the shoulder. I knew it wouldn't hurt him, but it gave me some satisfaction.

"Hey! And yes, you can be turned into a vampire, by being bitten by another vampire, and then drinking some of their blood, but most vampires are born that way these days, into vampire families. That answer your next question?"

I nodded, a little dumbfounded. "Vampires can read minds can't they?" I asked.

"Yes, and they are telepathic." He said matter of factly. At that moment, several blurs flew into the kitchen, and sat down on the stalls. I already knew what it was, I could feel the air around me turning bitterly cold as six vampires sat down around me.

"Morning," Lyla said brightly. "I hear that these rude so and so's haven't actually introduced themselves," she scolded, looking towards the three boys whose names I did not know. "That is Charlie," she nodded her head towards the fair-haired boy who had knocked me into the lake. He nodded his head in reply. "That's Felix." A boy with flaming red hair held his hand out, and I shook it. "And that is Declan." The last boy looked over the top of his magazine, and said "pleasure to meet." I was stunned to hear a thick Irish accent. It just didn't go with his jet black hair, only slightly darker than Kaspar's.

"And of course you know my idiot brothers, and Fabian." He mouth curled a little as she said the name Fabian.

I took in Cain for the first time. Now I looked at him, I realised he didn't have the same aged look as his siblings. He looked young, fresh, naïve. His hair was lighter than Kaspar's, nearer blonde than black. However, he shared the same eyes as both his brother and his sister. The beautiful, mesmerizing emerald eyes.

Kaspar, who was sat next to me, suddenly got up, and whizzed around to the fridge. Sheesh! Would it hurt them just to walk at a normal pace for once? I looked at the newspaper Kaspar had just been reading, now set down on the tabletop. It was the Daily Telegraph.

And then I saw it. What Kaspar had been reading. Dominating the front page was a huge black and white aerial photo of Trafalgar Square. Trafalgar Square littered in bodies.

My eyes widened, as I recognized the scene. That was what the vampires I was now sat next to had created. I looked closer, and saw police officers pushing back enraged crowds, away from the tape surrounding the scene. It was graphic, you could even see the blood that coated the square.

Plastered above it was the headline:

London's Bloodbath... Horrific mass murder in Trafalgar Square!

I realized I was standing but I didn't care. I gripped the breakfast bar tightly, fighting to stay on my feet. Slowly I began to read on:

In the early hours of yesterday morning, London awoke to the worst mass murder of this nature in British history, after thirty victims, all male, were found lying dead in Trafalgar Square.