Chapter 37: Rematch

*Alexa Shiffer*

"Well, that went better than I hoped," Jordan sighed as we watched Natalie give us one last wave before skipping off to collect her car.

"Yeah, it did. But I do feel kind of guilty though," I replied.

"What?" Jordan blurted? "Why? You did nothing wrong. She was the one that was being a bad, manipulative friend."

"Not that," I laughed, enjoying the look of bafflement on Jordan's face. "I mean, I told Adriana that I would kick Natalie's ass, and that didn't really go to plan". Jordan laughed and shook his head.

"Ever the joker, aren't you?"

"Yup, that's me." Jordan paused and looked down for a moment, before seeming to have a lightbulb moment.

"What are your plans for the rest of the day?" He asked so quickly that I almost didn't understand him.

"Um, I'm not sure," I raised an eyebrow, "but I think you're about to let me know." Jordan smirked.

"Don't you think it's about time that Tommy got his soccer game?"

"Only if I get the chance to thrash Uncle Jordan again," I smirked back. Jordan's face dropped.

"Oh, come on! I can't deal with being bullied by a seven year old about how I let a girl beat me... Again," Jordan moaned.

"Then don't lose." Jordan looked unsure. I took a step towards him and looked him straight in the eye. "I dare you".

"That only works on you, Alexa." He held my gaze.

"I see," I looked towards the door. "I guess, I'll be leaving then," I said, pretending not to be bothered. I turned my back to him and took a few slow steps forwards until heard him exhale heavily.

"Fine." I stopped and waited without turning around. "Deal." He said finally.

He didn't see me smile.

~*~

"Well, are you coming or what?" Jordan asked as he held open the passenger door of the car. I looked at him and bit my lip. "Come on, thought you were excited!" he encouraged.

"I don't know," I hesitated. "What if they don't remember me? That will be embarrassing." I didn't like to admit it, but I cared about what people thought of me; I wanted peoples' approval more than most realised. After such a rewarding and enjoying experience the last time I came here, I didn't want that to be ruined. These kids probably had plenty of visitors. Why would they remember one girl that visited them once for a couple of hours?

"Don't be ridiculous! They all loved you Alexa. You made a much better first impression than I did when I first met all the kids. Plus, it's only been one week, there's no way that any of them would have forgotten you. Trust me on this Alexa, I know these kids."

"You're right," I said, unbuckling my seatbelt and mentally shaking myself. "It will be fine."

"They're going to be so excited to see you," Jordan said, rubbing his hands together. "They always love it when we turn up unexpected." I nodded enthusiastically and followed him to the reception of Rainbows.

"Jordan, Alexa!" Miranda, the lady that ran the orphanage, greeted us with a massive smile. "It's so good to see you back here again so soon! The kids haven't stopped talking about both of you all week, especially Alexa." Jordan smiled at me and gave me the 'I told you so' look. I couldn't hide the smile this time.

"It's great to be back, Miranda," Jordan grinned. "Anyway, Alexa had already promised Tommy a game of soccer so we had no choice really."

"Brilliant, he'll love that." Miranda turned to me and took my hand in hers. "Thank you, Alexa, really. You don't know how much new visitors mean to the kids and they really appreciate it. It's not often that many people give up their time to come here."