Interview

Toni's POV

I gave the campus my two weeks' notice last week and never went back to work. It's time I take some time to focus on me and my dreams. Hopefully I get this job today even if means I have be to an assistant or secretary for someone in the record industry.

Toni was on her way to her mother's house to grab an early lunch before her interview. There was going to be a family dinner tonight, so she wouldn't have to cook anything.

Toni: Ma! I'm here.

Momma Evelyn: We're in the kitchen, baby.

Towanda (hugging Toni): Hey Tone.

Toni: Hey everybody. Sorry I'm a little late. I lost track of time.

Trina: It's no problem, we just got here too.

Tamar: So how's the job hunting going?

Toni: I have an interview today this afternoon at a record studio after our lunch.

Traci: I still can't believe that you left your job, Tone. You were financially stable and everything.

Tamar: Me too, if I had a well-paying job like that, I would never leave it until the day I had to retire.

Toni: You guys just don't understand. I want to actually sing full-time. My dream is to be a singer that sings nationwide. It's either I give myself a chance to reach for my dreams or give up.

Momma Evelyn: But you can do gigs on the side while still being a professor.

Towanda: We're not saying that you shouldn't reach for the stars, reach for your dreams Tone. What we're saying is make sure that you don't leave something stable for something that you're unsure of. We love you and we're here for you if you need anything.

Toni: Thanks Wanda. How about I make this deal with you guys.

Tamar: Go ahead girl.

Toni: If my singing career doesn't take off, I'll go back to being a full-time professor.

Trina: That sounds fair.

Traci: I agree. But can we eat y'all, I'm hungry.

The sisters moved to the dining room and continued to talk while having lunch.

Tamar: Tells us about this upcoming interview.

Toni: Well I got an interview to be Babyface's assistant. His former assistant decided to open her own business and my friend Jasmine told me about the job last week.

Towanda: Babyface? As in the Kenny Babyface Edmonds?!

Toni (smiling): Yup.

Trina: I remember when you used to have his pictures all over your wall when we were growing up.

Traci: He is handsome.

Tamar: Do you know if his former assistant is doing the interview or he is?

Toni: I hope it's his former assistant. I don't know if I would able to speak if he does the interview.

Tamar: I can tag along if you want me to.

Traci: Stop trying to be nosey.

Toni: There's supposed to be two other people applying for this job, I have to get it.

Momma Evelyn: You will. (Looking at her watch) Finish eating so you can get to the interview early.

Toni (looking at her watch): Oh shoot! I gotta go. I'll call you guys after the interview!