XXIII

"Kitten." A gentle voice murmurs.

I give a incoherent mumble, rolling over, landing on the hard floor of the carriage.

Groaning, my eyes slowly peel open, meeting those beautiful blue ones.

Tears immediately fill my eyes, a few escaping, sliding down my cheeks. I curl back up on the seat, burying my face in my knees, refusing to talk.

"Can you look at me please? I want to see your pretty little eyes." It isn't a command, so I don't look up.

He gives a sigh, "Okay."

It's quiet again, and I hate it. I want to crawl into his lap and have him hold me, but he kissed Christina.

"It was a mistake, Tris, you have to believe me," He reaches for my hand, causing me to flinch back, "Please." He mutters, sounding so broken that I lift my head.

It is then that I noticed his appearance. His eyes are sad, dark bags lining them. They close ever so often, as if he's trying to stay awake. If you look closely, he's shaking, as if he's cold.

I hold back a whimper, wanting to hug him, but I can't forgive him just like that. Right?

I peak at Uriah, who is sleeping soundly. I silently plead for him to wake up, to destroy this awkward situation.

I watch as his head lowers, a sob escaping his mouth. He puts his head in his hands, quickly covering up the sound. His shoulders shake, proof that he is clearly upset with himself.

My heart pounds in my ears, guilt gnawing at my stomach. I want to comfort him.

Conflicted, I bury my face back in my knees, crying too. It hurts to much to see him cry.

When he realizes I'm crying, he croaks, "Why are you are crying?"

"Why are you crying?" I retort.

"Because I hurt you." He wipes the remnants of his tears with the back of his hand, looking like a lost little boy.

"Why did you do it?" I whisper.

He looks down, "I didn't even realize I was doing it until it was too late. I'm so sorry. So so sorry." His hands cover his face again.

Staying quiet, I watch out the small window. How does someone respond to something like that?

"I haven't slept. How could I? I didn't know where you were, or if you were okay. What if you had gotten hurt? I searched everywhere, hoping you would come back to me. I was so lost without you, kitten. I can't live my life without holding you in my arms." Tears are falling down both of our faces, and I have the urge to hug him but I hold back, adrenaline still pumping.

What if this was just a game to him? What if he takes me home and does it again?

When I give no answer, his face falls. My heart clenches, I will forgive him soon, I just need time.

(Comment
Follow)