XV

I pout, jutting my lower lip out and widening my eyes, "I'm not going." I cross my arms over my chest.

"You were so excited yesterday. What happened?" Marlene asks, taking a seat next to me.

"I didn't know there would be this many people!" We would all be clustered in a room for a stupid reason. A ball.

"Just put on your dress and go downstairs."

I shake my head and dash under the bed, curling myself so Marlene and Shauna couldn't reach me.

"Fine. I will go get Four." Shauna says, her feet disappearing

I squeak a protest. Somehow Tobias always manages to get me to do whatever he wants in a split second.

After a moment, he appears, wiggling so he's halfway under the bed, his head brushing the matress above.

"Kitten, what's wrong?" He strokes the tops of my feet gently, slowly easing my nerves.

"I don't want to go." More importantly, I didn't want to have to make an entrance with Tobias. Everyone would see and then our relationship will change.

He rested his head in his hands, "I know something else is bothering you. What is it?"

I can't help but look at him with watery eyes, "I don't want you to change."

This may look ridiculous to an outsider, two people under a bed, spilling their true feelings, but the small area protected me from the outside world. As did Tobias' presence.

He gave a soft chuckle, "Sometimes I just don't understand you. Tris, nothing will ever change for us. What we have is forever, and that's all there is to it. Okay?"

I shake my head and bury my face in my arms. He was going to change, and we all knew it.

He would become cold and turn away from me. All of our memories locked away in a closet, never to be opened.

I sob left my mouth. Why did this bother me so much? Was it because I knew it was true?

I heard Tobias crawl out from underneath the bed, and I was soon in his arms.

He held me in his lap and rocked me like a baby.

"I know you have your doubts, but I promise you, the way I act around you, is my true self. I am not changing. And I know it's the same with you."

"Don't leave me." I murmur, my sobs calming to sniffles.

"Never, you are my everything."

After we hold each other, me mostly clinging, he lightens the mood, "Now, my poofy princess, why don't you get on your gown and join me in my show."

"I don't like the gown. I feel like an umbrella."

Tobias let's out a deep rumble of laughter, his chest vibrating, "You will look amazing. I have to go get ready but I will see you later." He kisses my head and walks to the door, "Oh, and don't cause any trouble for the girls please."

I shrug and flash him my innocent smile, watching as Marlene and Shauna file into the room.

They squeeze me into the itchy umbrella and start on my hair.

"Don't do anything fancy, especially not one if those weird hair balls you put on the top of your head." I grumble.

"You mean a bun?" Shauna laughs.

"A bun is traditional, all the ladies have their hair in an updo."

"Can't you just braid it, please?"

Shauna sighs, "Fine, but it might look funny with your dress."

"I just don't like the hair balls hurting my head. They tug a lot."

Marlene giggles, and starts braiding.

{Follow/Comment/Vote}