Chapter 23 -- Incoming!

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Another thing I've been thinking about," I said as I felt his smile. "When will Zeke attack us again? I know he will after he replaces or fixes the time distortion machine. And I figure you've already discussed this with your team.

Stephen stroked my hair and said, "We think Zeke needs to be in close proximity to you for the machine to work. While you're on pack lands it's almost impossible for him to be able to get close enough to you. The best time for him to attack is at night, or if there is some sort of diversion, emergency, or a distraction. If there is ever an emergency in the Center or village, there are protocols in place to ensure your safety."

"And those are..." I prompted.

"To get you to a safe place. We've fortified many areas around the village that you go to, there's a hidden 'safe room' at the daycare, grocery store, library, and several other places that your Guard already know about. The last of them is being installed in the next few days, and I was going to show them to you. This has been kept secret from most pack members, and we're still trying to flush out the traitor or traitors that leaked the information about our hotel stay to Zeke."

A man with a headset suddenly walked up to Stephen and bowed his head, "Alpha, we have word from Alpha Matthew." The man walked back to a computer station with Stephen right on his heels. And everyone still called Matthew 'Alpha', even though the man was semi-retired he still had earned the title. I walked over a little closer while rocking Matt so I could hear.

Matthew's voice came through the speaker, it was full of static and a little garbled from the noise of the chopper. "Devil Dog, we just landed in a nearby field and are making our way to the house." Matthew sounded like he was running now. We all heard the sound of gunfire in the distance, it didn't look like Matthew had arrived first.

"I don't think we need to worry about convincing the good professor to come with us, he's pinned down by hostiles. And...[garble] ...bron's forces are moving in with heavy return fire. He has superior forces and we should be able to get closer soon."

"Tell Matthew to stay in view, but hidden and safe," Stephen instructed the man with the headset. We all stood and listened to the gunfire, and there was an explosion or two. That should get the attention of the authorities. And then suddenly all gunfire stopped and everything was silent.

Matthew talked into his mic, "It appears that Alpha Fabron's forces have countered the assault. I see his men approaching the house, I'm gonna get closer." We could hear Matthew running closer, and talking with someone.

"Apparently they're taking the professor and his family to a safe house, I need to move the chopper before the authorities arrive, our markings have been blacked out. I have a cell number from Fabron's team and will contact them soon. Repeat, the professor and his family have been extracted."

Stephen told the communications officer, or 'commo' to tell Matthew to check in when he had any other information. The message was received, and everyone went back to 'wait' mode. Stephen walked me to the sofa, and I sat down with Matt.

"So now we see if Matthew can get any information from the professor. The best scenario is to bring him and his family to a facility in Hoodsport so we can talk in private. But Alpha Fabron will want some answers we just won't give him.

I looked at Stephen thoughtfully, "Everyone knows about Whitehorse, right? Well show Fabron the video you made of me in the lab. That might be enough to keep him happy without giving him any new information. You can just tell him the professor is related to all of it."

"Hmm, I'll discuss it with Tyler. Good idea, love," he said and grinned. I smiled back and enjoyed being with my Mate.

I then started to feel something 'funny', but couldn't put my finger on it and shook my head. Stephen beckoned to Handy who was standing near, and handed him Matt to watch for a few minutes.