Chapter 16 : The chuunin exam finals

The village watched as their genin prepared themselves for the chuunin exams finals. The month long break was finally over and Akame left the hospital all cured.

Everyone was beginning to regard Akame as a mysterious genius. She had hardly spent time at the academy. Her education had been self inflicted... Though that's because she was already trained by the empire and had been a part of the revolutionary army. She was also quiet and respectful... But she had an astonishing amount of killing aura that she was able to switch on and off according to requirement.

She had brought back the corpse of the late Haruno, who had gone missing... Haruno Natsume, the marionette master.

There were quite a few genins who had a crush on her due to her 'cool beauty' personality.

And now...she had reached the finals of the chuunin exams! The most anticipated match was that of Uchiha Sasuke vs Sabaaku no Gaara...but a lot of people were looking forward to the match of Metsujin Akame vs Tachibana Ryuuji.

The others were surprised at her being in the limelight so quickly but the Hokage knew that she had fought on an equal level with the S rank rogue ninja from the bingo book.

He was quite happy with her. It was certain that she would never betray them...besides she was exceedingly strong...but he wished to see the true extent of her powers...since she knew that this was hardly her limit.

General P.O.V

The chuunin exams were being watched by the Hokage and the Kazekage. Quite a lot of villagers jad come too.

The matches were proctered by Shiranui Gemma since Gekko Hayate was found dead.

The first match was Naruto against Neji. Naruto's fight with Neji in the first match of the finals was a very dramatic one. Akame was quite surprised to know that Neji had a seal on his forehead that prevented him from going against the Hyuga main family's demands...but Naruto won with a combination of presence of mind, sheer determination and what seemed like monster chakra. She still remembered how Murasame quivered when Naruto unleashed an orange colored swirl of energy. Did he use a demon's power like Akame does? Naruto won and convinced Neji that he would become a Hokage who would free them from such practices. It was obvious that Naruto and Neji will be good friends henceforth.

The second match was supposed to be Sasuke vs Gaara but since Sasuke had not arrived yet, it was scheduled last...he should have been disqualified but quite a lot of people had been looking forward to this match.

In the third match, which featured Shino versus Kankurō, victory was given to Shino on default, since Kankurō forfeited.

The fourth match was Temari versus Shikamaru. Both Temari and Shikamaru were excellent strategists, but Shikamaru was better. Although it appeared throughout the match that Shikamaru was using pointless attacks, he was actually five steps ahead, and managed to skilfully manipulate Temari into a position where he could attack from behind, using the tunnel which Naruto had dug during his match with Neji to extend his Shadow Imitation Technique. This took control over Temari's body, and forced her to imitate every one of Shikamaru's movements. Although Shikamaru could have won, he quit instead, saying that he was too low on chakra...but Akame remembered Asuma-sensei commenting that Shikamaru could have done it but withdrew because he was too lazy...and that he didn't want to hurt a lady.

Sasuke arrived late, but the waiting time was extended again (because of the importance of the match). The fifth match, Uchiha Sasuke vs Sabaaku no Gaara commenced. Sasuke demonstrated that his speed had vastly increased, to the point where the sand guarding Gaara could not keep up. Gaara's screams of 'MY BLOOD' was horrifying. Suddenly Sasuke flinched his arm out of the absolute defence Gaara had formed. His hand was bleeding and Gaara went on referring to someone as 'mother'. Sasuke demonstrated Chidori, a technique he had learned from Kakashi and Kakashi's only original technique, to injure Gaara.

Everyone was cheering Sasuke on...but Akame was confused to find that her opponent, Tachibana Ryuuji was not in the contestant's podium! Was he going to quit like Kankuro?

Before the match could finish, however, a smoke bomb set off in the Kage's box and the Kazekage took the Hokage hostage!

Someone had used a genjutsu and most of the populace was asleep. Kakashi-sensei and Guy-sensei were fighting with the sound ninjas who had disguised themselves as members of the ANBU black ops.

Akame: Kakashi-sensei...do you remember me telling you about my kidnappers Hidan and Kakuzu?

Kakashi might have asked to go away but he knew that she must have something important to tell him.

Akame: I overhead them tell something about sand village being the one who ordered my kidnapping...but someone told me that someone from the sound village was pulling all the strings.

Kakashi: So you are saying that Sand and Sound have an alliance to attack Konoha?

Akame: Maybe...but that guy's words...it sounded like Sound was using Konoha's destruction as a diversion to obtain what they want...

Kakashi paled. He quickly asked Sakura to grab Naruto, Shikamaru and Akame...to go after Sasuke...since the latter had given a chase after the runaway Gaara.

Akame: Do you know something sensei?

Kakashi sighed. She told him everything. It was only right that he was truthful to her... She deserved to know about her comrade.

Kakashi: I think Orochimaru is after Sasuke.

Akame realized that it might just be true since Orochimaru had been dressed as a Sound ninja the last time she saw him.

Kakashi: Go with Sakura, Naruto and Shikamaru. Pakkun will guide you. It is an A rank mission. Proceed with caution.

Akame: Sorry sensei... But I am going to the village. Murasame is itching for a fight since it lost the chance to battle Tachibana-san...but more importantly... that place reeks of snakes...