Chapter 36

Would you lie for me? Cross your sorry heart and hope to die for me?

-Halsey, Trouble

-

-

-

-

Carmen's Pov.

I watch my leg bounce as I waited for Harry in his car. It has been almost forty five minutes since he left and I couldn't help but grow worried. I know I shouldn't though. He's Harry Styles, most feared man in New York. No one would mess with him. Yet, here I am chewing my thumbnail, thinking about all the possible things that could be going wrong. I let out a deep breath and turned off the heater. It was getting stuffy in here and the heater was not helping. I pushed my hair out of my face and looked around the yard. The party was getting more and more rowdy by the second.

Two guys began to push each other around and the next thing I knew, one threw a punch at the other, catching him in the jaw. I jumped in my seat, immediately thinking one of the boys were Harry. Neither of them had dark hair or had such a commanding presence on the crowd, but that didn't make me any less worried. I whipped out my phone, shaking, and called Harry. It rang and rang before I threw my phone on the driver's seat.

"Dammit, Harry!" I shouted to myself, looking at the two men who were just pulled apart from each other. Then were trying to go back after one another, luckily the men holding them were stronger. "You're no better than Niall."

My fingers inched their way to the door handle.

"Just trust me, you don't want to go in there. Just sit here and lock the doors. I'll be back."

Harry's voice rang in my head, making me hesitate. He's been go for so long and didn't answer his phone. Like hell I'm staying in here.

I turned off the car and put the keys in my pocket. I opened the door and slammed it shut behind me. I pulled Harry's jacket tighter around me as I walked toward the building. I made it past most of the crowd before people started handing me drinks. I took one of the drinks that was given to me and smelled it. It was a clear liquid and made me think of the last time I drank. I felt really good, but in the end nothing came out pretty.

I took the drink and set it on the ground before moving inside the house. Surprisingly, the interior of the house wasn't as crowded as the outside. People were smoking on the stairs, thick smoke piling out of their mouths. I looked away from the oddly captivating sight in search for Harry. I stood on the tip of my toes, hoping to at least see the top of his head. Nervous butterflies ate at my stomach when I didn't spot him.

"Hey, beautiful."

I whipped around, startled at the voice so close to my ear and looked at a pair of dark brown eyes.

"Uh, hi?" I said taking a step back. He leaned against the wall taking a long drink from his red solo cup. He stared at me over the rim of the cup and I might have found him attractive if it wasn't for the look in his eyes.

"You look familiar, darling." He said stepping closer to me and I took other back. "Who you here looking for?"

I debated whether I should tell him or not but then thought it was a good idea. When people in this part of New York heard about Harry, they practically quiver in their boots. So, this guy would definitely freak out.

"I'm looking for Harry. Harry Styles." I stated, crossing my arms over my chest.

The sleazy guy's eyes widened and he made an exasperated sound.

"That's why you're familiar. You're one of Harry's precious little flowers." He laughed coldly and I shrunk back. "You know, I'm kind of hate him. He thinks he can parade around the Big Apple like he's a fucking legend."

I wanted to open my mouth and defend Harry. I wanted to shout at this guy for speaking about him so rudely. But I kept my mouth shut, considering it wasn't the best idea.

He took a few more steps toward me until I was forced to back into the steps. The people behind me cursed and tried to push me away but I didn't move. The man in front of me drained his drink and tossed the cup aside. He had stubble on his chin and cheeks, a sly smirk on his face.

"What's say you and me have a bit of fun?" He laughed, he eyes practically undressing me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked around, desperate for Harry.

"Uh, actually I think I'm just going to go." I mumbled and tried walking around him.

He arm caught me around my waist and I squealed when he pulled me against his chest. He smelled like smoke and alcohol and I wanted to squeeze my eyes shut.

"Let go of me." I said, wanted to scream until somebody, anybody else, would notice.

"Oh Harry's is one lucky motherfucker." The man laughed as I tried to push him away. "I like when girls are feisty," he whispered in my ear, making me want to gag. "But I like it better when they are begging on their knees."

Right then and there, a hand grabbed my arm and yanked me away from the guy.

"I wouldn't touch her again if I were you." Liam's voice rose and I was so relieved.

Liam pushed me behind him and I wrapped my arms around myself, wanting to hug him but not wanting to get in the middle of them.

"Who the fuck are you?" The man asked, sneering at Liam.

"Just somebody who will beat your ass, then tell Harry. And we all know Harry will kill you." Liam said cooly and I was so happy in that moment.

The man looked from me to Liam then back to me. He smiled.

"See you around." He said, shooting me a wink before walking off.

We were both frozen for a few, heavy seconds before hurrying out of the house. Once we stepped outside I threw my arms around Liam.

"Thank you." I said and he momentarily hugged me back.

"Anytime but we have to get you out of here." Liam said pulled me across the yard.

"No, Liam, I can't leave without Harry." I told and he looked around.

"Where the hell is he?" Liam asked and my previous nervousness came back full force.

"I-I don't know." I said, pulling at my hair. "He went in the party to find Niall but...I don't know, Liam-"

"Hey, it's okay. Calm down." Liam said and for some reason I wanted to cry. "Where's Harry's car?"

I pointed a shaking finger toward Harry's car and Liam threw his arm around me, walking me to his car. I grabbed the car door handle, unlocked it, and pulled it open.

"Ok, Carmen. Stay in this car. I'm going to find Harry. Do not leave this car." Liam warned.

"But-"

"Carmen, I know you're worried about Harry but there are people around here that are willing to hurt you just because of Harry. So please stay here. I promise I won't be long." Liam said in a rush and ushered me into the car.

I slammed the door shut, locking it, and watched Liam hurry back into the house. The overwhelming urge to cry hit me so strong that I couldn't hold it in anymore.

Tears flowed from my eyes and I put my hand in my face.

I shouldn't have got out of the car. I shouldn't have let Harry get out of the car. I know it's stupid of me to be worried about Harry, but I am so afraid. I know it was stupid of me to get out of the car but I was so afraid.

I'm so afraid.

God, all I wanted right now was Harry.

__________________________

[Status: Edited and Revised]