Chapter 33

Chasing relentlessly, still fight and I don't know why.

-Zedd, Clarity

-

-

-

-

Carmen's Pov.

I reentered Harry's room an hour later. I didn't leave. I knew if I did that I'd regret it. Something was wrong with Harry. Something deeper than he makes things out to be. And that thought always brings me back to his past.

I pushed open Harry's door and looked inside. Harry was lying on his bed, asleep. His arms were crossed along his chest and his lips were slightly parted. I would have thought that he looked peaceful if it wasn't for his oddly pale skin and the blood smears on his shirt.

I stood over him for a while. I realized that this was creepy, but I didn't care much. Part of me wanted to wake him up and pester him with questions. The other part of me thought waking him was an absolutely terrible idea.

After a few minutes, I exited his room and went down stairs. I grabbed a bottle of water and found were Harry kept his medicine. I dropped two Advils in my hand and headed back upstairs. Harry's house was very spacious and I wondered how he could even afford something like this.

I reentered his room and stepped over the catastrophe on the floor. I quietly placed the water and pills next to him on his night stand. I exhaled a quiet breath and sat by the window. I brought my knees to my chest and let my head lean against the glass. I looked out the window, remembering that Harry sat here, just staring outside. I tried to see the captivity that Harry obviously seen.

There was a large yard outside his window. It didn't have a pool or a swing set or even a barbeque grill. It lacked everything a normal yard would have, but it did have trees. The trees were scattered along the yard. None in any specific place, but they were oddly alluring. Parts of the ground floor disappeared in the trees and to top it all off, the trees were slowly changing color. Some had orange leaves and-

That's when I heard it. A small, almost inaudible whimper.

I looked over at Harry and sat up in my seat. Harry's eyes were screwed shut and, from where I was sitting, I could tell he was clenching his teeth. I quickly got up from my seat and hurried over to Harry.

Harry was breathing heavily and was sweating. He lightly tossed and turned around. I put my hands on his shoulders and gently shook him.

"Harry." I called out and he groaned.

"Harry." I cried out loud and his eyes shot open. I took a step back as Harry shot right up in his bed. I reached out to touch him, but he shrinked away from my outstretched hand. I pulled my hand to my chest as Harry tried to control his breathing.

"Harry, are you okay?" Yes it was a stupid question, but saying anything is better than saying nothing.

Harry looked up at me, seeming to finally realize my presence.

"What are you doing here?" Harry breathed out. His voice wasn't hostile or annoyed, but more along the lines of shocked and a little bit of fearfulness.

Instead of answering him, I walked over to his nightstand and grabbed the pills and water. I went back to Harry and handed them to him.

"Uh, thanks..." Harry trailed off and popped the pills in his mouth.

"What was your dream about?" I asked. I wanted answers so bad it was killing me. I just wanted Harry to talk to me; to tell me what other people won't have to.

"Nothing." Harry mumbled, chugging his water.

"I don't believe you." I told him softly and Harry smirked like something was amusing.

"Why's that, princess? You don't trust me?" Harry asked and I shook my head.

"No, Harry, I don't. Especially when you keep things from me and someone else tells me for you." Harry's smirk disappeared from his face, leaving a shadow of something that could have been.

"Mind you own business, Carmen." Harry said, getting up and walking toward his bathroom.

"Harry, why? Why didn't you tell me?" I stood from my spot and walked after Harry. He stopped in his tracks.

"Let's not talk about this right now, Carmen." Harry said through clenched teeth.

"And why not?" I persisted. "If you would have just told me-"

"Enough!" Harry bellowed and I jumped. He continued to walk toward his bathroom. "This is just too fucking much. Everyone just needs to shut the fuck up." With that Harry disappeared behind his bathroom door.

£

I sat downstairs on Harry's couch and watched my leg bounce up and down. I was chewing on my thumbnail, holding back tears. I leaned back and tried, unsuccessfully, to stop my leg from bouncing.

It felt like hours since Harry woke up and locked himself in his bathroom. I've never seen him like this before, and it's rather frightening. It put me on edge and makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I wish he would just...talk.

I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down. Harry was going to be okay. It's hard to believe I care about him considering all the stuff he's put me through. I never thought I'd care so much for a person that was mean to me half the time he was around. Then again, I can't really blame him. This anger and bitterness is all that he has left; it has always been there for him.

I opened my eyes due to the new pressure on the couch. I looked over at Harry, who has found his way sitting next to me. He wore new clothes and his hair was damp. He leaned back and we were so close our legs were touching. I looked up at his face to find it not looking back at me, but staring straight ahead. He lifted his water bottle to his lips and took a long drink.

"Harry?" I called in a low voice.

Harry continued to stare forward and then close his eyes. My heart ached for this broken boy next to me and I reached for his hand. I slowly laced our fingers together and his thumb slowly brushed my hand.

"My dad got out of jail today." Harry stated and my eyes grew wide.

I wasn't expecting that.

_________________________

[Status: Edited and Revised]