.chapter twenty-three

Chapter 23:
"Excuse me," the room went silent at Mr Knightley's yell echoed around the wooden frame.

Everyone blinked at him, the gravy boats hauled to a stop and the Jack O Lanterns veered into silence. The slushing gravy fountain playing as background music to his voice.

"First off I'd just like to say Happy Thanksgiving!" He slurred a bit, raising his wine.

"Is he always like this?" I leaned back to Mitch.

"Give him a break, he's having fun." He whispered. I snickered back into the toast.

"Secondly, I'd like to remind everyone about our guidelines as to parties and drinking on campus," he couldn't complete his sentence without the older students all booing at him.

Ryan and Hudson being the triggers to the hollering. Ryan broke off into laughter at the commotion.

Mr Knightley cracked up at us all,"Oh hush, I have to say that."

He surprised me with his words- the usual poise persona peeling to reveal his party side.

"And finally, we have a new member to the family!" The wooden seats squeaked as everyone faced me.

Mr Knightley held out his glass,"A toast to Miss Emory who is my favourite witch in the world!" He downed some of his wine and I smiled cherishingly at everyone.

"To Emory!" Most of then cheered, sipping their respective drinks.

"To Emory." Brayden whispered in my left ear. I smiled at him as the noise engrossed the room again.

"So tell me," I gulped,"How did you all manage to hide this from me?" I motioned around at the self moving dishes.

A fork hopped past me, clinking as it finally landed in the dish bucket.

"Well you were never here for set up or clean up so we had no problem." Brayden shrugged. His arms were crossed on the table, tiresome head resting on them.

I looked over at the grand piano that was playing itself. It started playing the music to Fall For You by Leela James. The riff losing itself in my ears.

The flickering candle that stuck out from the flowers caught my attention suddenly.

"But everything else, like how did you-"

"Enough questions." He shushed and stood up. I slouched as he was going to walk away. I started eavesdropping on the rest of our friends around the table.

Something tapped my shoulder so I peered up at the person.

"What're you doing?"

"Come dance with me." Brayden held out a palm. I took it and let him guide be over to a clearing in between tables.

I just stood before him, watching as everyone else stared at us. Picking us apart like the desert were about to eat.

"Brayden, people are staring." I whispered through right teeth.

"And?"

He slipped my arms around his shoulders and placed his hands on my waist.

"You're something you know that?"

"I try to be," he smile away from my eyes. They travelled over to our table. He then smiled goofily with narrowed eyes an a cheesy thumbs up.

I looked back to see the boys stop making hand actions towards him.
They all smiled innocently and I rolled my eyes. Boys.

He grabbed my hand to spin me slickly. I almost hit the table before he pulled me back towards him.