.chapter eleven.

Chapter 11:
This gravel pathway was guiding my feet to the swing set. Only a young mother and her two toddlers took up the area. I fell back into the swing and let my legs dangle down to the springy flooring. There was a gentle breeze passing through my hair and the sun was sitting high in the sky.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket to see I was 5 minutes late. He was nowhere to be seen. My hands found their way into my sweatshirt pockets again for warmth in the brisk fall air.

Shortly after, the young family left and it was 10:16. I felt alone at this place, scared that someone would try to harm me by myself.

It's broad daylight, you nitwit, no one is going to shank you in the middle of the morning. Especially at a damn children's park. A girl then walked into the park and made a b-line towards me. Her head was down and she stumbled a bit when she stepped down into the play area.

"Emory, we need to talk." Kendra stood before me, cheetah print sunglasses protecting her identity. Even undercover she was all dolled up. Typical.

"Follow me." She grasped my wrist and yanked me off the swing. She lead me behind the swing set and down the stone path to the sodded area.

Her grasp was tight and her pace never let up for me. I tripped up and hissed at her grip on me. She only let go when we were hidden behind some pine trees. How secretive... None of the inexistent people at this park will find us now.

"Ow, damnit Kendra, what're you doing here?" I whispered. She gave me a ridiculous look.

"Why're you whispering there's no one around?" She spoke normally and stood straighter at my idiocy.

"Well I felt like a spy, and were in the woods-"

"Never mind that." She pushed through solid teeth. Her hand threw down beside her and I stepped back at her sudden dominance over the conversation.

"Listen, you need to go home right now." She warned with a finger pointed sternly to the ground.

"What? You're making no sense, Brayden and I are just hanging out." These lies come out before I can control them now.

Another example of how I have no filter.

"Em, I know you're lying, and I know what you're doing." She threatened. She knows, but how? I made sure that no one would find the papers, unless Brayden said something.

"Brayden told me." Well, that makes sense.

"What did he tell you?" I challenged. A panicked breath escaped her lips seamlessly.

"Listen to me," she took a step closer and hushed her voice. She tugged my arm down so that we were crouched further from viewpoint.

"Brayden is lying to you. He isn't going to help you and I have no proof of it right now but you have to trust me, S'mores." I straightened at the nickname. I wasn't hearing things before, she actually called me that.

"EMORY?!" My head snapped in the direction the voice was from. My eyes met Kendra's again and I pulled my arm away with a sigh.

"No, Em, please don't-" I stepped out of the bushes with a hopeful glance back at her.

"There you are, what're you doing?" I smiled and walked over to him.

He looked like a Joe Fresh advert in his waist coat and flannel scarf. A small smile was dancing on his lips and I rushed out an answer.

"Just peeing."

What? Why the hell did I say that, he's going to think I'm disgusting.

"O-oh okay." He looked behind me at the trees suspiciously. I nervously smiled and we walked with one another.