[ phoenix's point of view: chapter ten ]

Chapter 10 (Phoenix's Point of View)

Shoving my textbook in my locker, I swore when I saw a piece of paper fall out of it. I looked at it, noticing the word homework written on top of it. Well...that's not getting done. I shoved it carelessly into my locker before removing my wet jacket and hanging it up.

Avery's familiar voice entered my ears and I glanced over to see her talking to Grace. "I don't know why you won't just ask Phoenix if you're so curious," Avery blurted. My eyebrows shot up. They're talking about me?

"Ask me what?" I inquired as I stared at them. I suddenly wished I hadn't spoke. Maybe I would've heard more of what they were saying had I remained quiet.

"Nothing! Go away, you...creep!" Grace snapped as she grabbed hold of Avery and dragged her down the hallway. I stared after them, confused as to what they were talking about.

As I continued on my day, I found myself growing more and more confused, especially after seeing Elliot and Grace conversing in the hallway. I want her to have a good time at homecoming but I want to be there with her. I can't do that if she manages to snag Elliot as her date. Of course I don't want her to be rejected, but I do want to at least spend some time with her at homecoming. I sighed loudly. Why couldn't I have just asked her? Maybe I would've gotten lucky and she'd have said yes? Maybe if I was serious and she saw that, she would've agreed to be my date. That would've put me four steps forward rather than two steps back, which is basically what this entire plan is doing for me.

"So what's the deal? Are we going to homecoming or what?" Frederick asked everyone as we sat at our lunch table.

"I don't think so," Leo answered.

"Maybe..." I trailed, unsure.

"What? You're going to ask Grace?" Ramon Velazquez laughed loudly, earning a high five from Fred.

"No," I responded. I wish. Leo was staring at me and I sighed. Give it to the two idiots sitting across from me to make things awkward. "Are you guys going?"

"Maybe," Ramon answered. "If Julia says yes."

I wasn't really listening. Instead I was thinking about ways to make Grace my date to homecoming. If I can just convince Elliot to say no if she asks then I'll definitely have a chance. But I can't do that to her. She's actually excited about this. I looked across the cafeteria at Grace to find that she was laughing. I wanted to sigh. Maybe I'll do something later in homecoming committee.

As my classes droned on, I found myself anticipating my after-school commitment. As I was leaving my last period class to go meet up with Grace, a girl named Madison stopped me. "Hey Phoenix," she called and I turned to look at her, offering her a smile. She's nice, I guess. I mean, we talk occasionally but only in this class and it's usually me helping her with her projects when she doesn't understand.

"Hey, Madison," I greeted her. I didn't want to be rude and tell her that I'm in a rush to be somewhere so I simply waited for her to speak, hoping she'd make it quick.

"Uh..." she started nervously. She was twirling a piece of her long brown hair between her fingers as she looked around. "Are you doing anything for homecoming?"

Oh no. She's asking me to homecoming, isn't she? "Yeah, I'm going with a friend," I lied.

She nodded, looking at the floor with an uncomfortable look on her face. I looked behind her to see her friends waiting with smiles on their faces. Oh no. She's going to tell them how I rejected her and they're going to hate me. "Oh...okay. Well I'll see you there."

"Yeah, I'll see you," I trailed awkwardly.

"Bye then," she smiled and I nodded, ducking out of the classroom. I could've said yes. It wouldn't have hurt to say yes, actually. If things go as planned, Grace is going to be heading to homecoming on Elliot's arm. I'll be left alone and then Madison will see and know I lied to her.