[ chapter ten: the almost kiss ]

Chapter 10: The Almost Kiss

I got out of the car, shoving my hands in my pockets as the rain poured from the sky. My sister looked at me. "Are you still worried about what Elliot said?" she asked me.

The other day, I told her about Elliot's theory. She didn't share her opinion on it, which I was really looking forward to. She simply told me: "Ask Phoenix if you're so curious." Obviously I can't do that. Then he'll think I like him, which I don't.

"What did Elliot say?" my brother asked. He seemed to cool down a bit since Saturday. I mean, it's been five days. He didn't talk to me these past few days. He only told me to hurry up this morning.

"Nothing, Elliot said nothing," I blurted immediately.

My brother's eyebrows furrowed before raising and dropping. "Okay," he replied before walking ahead of us. I waited until he was gone before turning to my sister.

"No, I'm not worried about what Elliot said," I hissed.

"Then what do you call that?" my sister asked as she pointed to my brother, who was now disappearing inside the school.

"How do you think he'll take it if he finds out about Phoenix's theoretical feelings for me?" I inquired. My sister nodded and I scoffed. "Exactly," I muttered as I held open the door for her.

"I don't why you won't just ask Phoenix if you're so curious," my sister suggested.

"Ask me what?" Phoenix asked as he stood beside his locker, which was placed near the girl's bathroom. Pervert.

"Nothing! Go away, you...creep!" I snapped as I grabbed my sister's arm and dragged her down the hallway.

"Smooth, Grace," my sister scoffed.

"I wouldn't have to come up with quick responses if you weren't so loud about it," I told her.

"How was I supposed to know he was standing there?" my sister asked.

"Now he's suspicious!" I groaned.

"Had you not opened your mouth, that could've been avoided," my sister reiterated. I hate to admit it but she's right.

+ + +

"Are you guys going to homecoming?" I asked Camryn and Alice as we sat at our lunch table. I was tapping my fingers rhythmically along the table, looking around curiously.

"I don't know," Camryn shrugged.

"Yeah," Alice sheepishly muttered.

"Yeah?" Camryn smirked, mocking our shy friend.

"Are you going with Valerie?" I inquired.

"I haven't asked her yet," Alice murmured as she stared at her tray of food.

"Well, when are you going to ask her?" I inquired.

"I'm not mentally prepared," Alice frowned.

"Too bad," Camryn shrugged. "Ask her or someone else will."

"You still have a month, Al. Don't stress it. If you're not ready, don't do it. You have to be confident when you ask," I explained, ignoring Cam's 'wise words.'

"What if she's not into girls?" Alice exhaled nervously.

"Then there isn't much you can do about it," I shrugged. "But what if she is?"

"But what if she's not?" Alice frowned. "I just want to get to know her before I ask."

"Then do that," I responded.