[ chapter eight: schedule change ]

Chapter 8: Schedule Change

"He actually introduced you to him?" my sister asked me as we drove home. I had explained to her the small argument Phoenix and I got into during lunch about Elliot.

"Yeah," I replied. "Why?"

"I don't know. I guess I just thought he wouldn't do it," Avery shrugged.

"Why not?" I asked.

"He seems very..." my sister trailed as she looked at me with narrowed eyes, "protective of you."

"Protective?" I snorted. "The only thing I need to be protected from is him."

My sister laughed. "You say that now but you'd be surprised by the amount of things out there that can hurt you."

"Yeah, like what?" I asked her.

"Guys," she replied. "They can do a lot more than make you fall in love with them- and sometimes, that's enough pain alone."

"Yeah, don't I know?" I scoffed. "But I don't need Phoenix, or even Leo, protecting me. I can do just fine on my own."

"Look, all I'm saying is that you should appreciate them for what they do for you. Look at what Phoenix did to Aaron," my sister explained.

"Yeah, I know what he did to Aaron; Alice and Cam won't let me forget about it," I sighed.

"You and Phoenix seem to be getting pretty close," my sister informed me. "When he agreed to give you a ride home from homecoming committee, you didn't seem so repulsed."

"I didn't have much time to be repulsed because you were driving off," I retorted. "Speaking of that, why'd you wink?" I asked as she pulled up to the front of the house.

"Wink? What are you talking about?" my sister asked in an amused tone.

"You know what I'm talking about Avery," I retorted as I got out of the car.

"Do I?" she asked. "Wait, how did I wink? Was it like this? Or more like this?" she inquired as she tested out her winks.

"Avery!" I barked. "Why did you wink? Answer my question!"

"Never!" my sister cackled as she ran up the steps to the house, swinging open the door. I stared at the door she disappeared behind and sighed.

+ + +

"Grace," the accented voice sounded in my ears as I stood at my locker the following Thursday. I was about to make my way to the auditorium for homecoming committee but I still had fifteen minutes.

"Hey Elliot," I smiled at him as I whipped around. "How have you been?"

"I've been okay, what about you?" he asked me as he held his binders at his side. His large hazel eyes stared at me and I stared back at him. I've never wished to change my eye color; but I feel like having hazel eyes would make me look a lot better. I look like an alien with my blue eyes and dark brown (practically black) hair.

"I've been good," I replied.

"You are on the homecoming committee, yes?" he asked me, earning a nod in response. "When is it?"

"November 6th," I replied. "Why?"

"I was just curious," he replied. I noticed Phoenix standing a few meters behind him and I smiled at Elliot.

"Speaking of homecoming committee, I should get going. It starts soon," I told him.

"See you later, Grace," he smiled at me as he walked away. Phoenix approached me and furrowed his eyebrows.