[ chapter two: grace-lyn ]

Chapter 2: Grace-lyn

The following Monday, I was sitting in Chemistry when Aaron walked in and I immediately remembered what happened earlier. This morning I saw him when I was getting out of the car with Avery and Leo, and he waved at me. I waved back, and my mood immediately enhanced.

I barely noticed Phoenix walking in behind Aaron, who was looking around happily. I was pleasantly surprised when Aaron smiled at me, nodding his head. "Hey, Gracelyn," he beamed as he walked over.

"Call me Grace," I managed to say without stuttering. Phoenix put his hand on his chest as his mouth opened slightly.

"Okay, Grace," Aaron nodded. I saw him glance at the seat beside me and I went to go move my bag but Phoenix walked over.

"Thanks for saving me a seat, Grace," Phoenix blurted, cutting off all means of conversation. He glanced at Aaron and narrowed his eyes slightly before dropping down in the seat, placing my bag on the floor between us.

"So, uh, Grace," Aaron started as he glanced at Phoenix, who was getting comfortable. "My friend and I are throwing a party at his house and I was wondering if you wanted to come."

"She can't go," Phoenix blurted before I could even open my mouth.

"Actually," I started, "I'll be there. What's the address?"

"Just put your number in my phone and I'll text it to you," Aaron spoke, unlocking his phone and attempting to hand it to me over Phoenix, who was making it difficult. When Aaron moved behind him, Phoenix would sit back; when Aaron went to hand it to me in front of Phoenix, the annoying boy would adjust himself so he'd be leaning forward.

"You know what? I'll just get your number later," I smiled at him and he nodded, looking at Phoenix oddly.

"Yeah, that's a good idea," he responded.

The teacher entered the classroom and Aaron offered one last smile before returning to his usual seat. Meanwhile, Phoenix was copying my homework at lightning speed.

I glared at him deeply. "What's wrong with you?" I hissed.

"What? You know that I don't like him," he responded, looking at me before his eyes flickered back to the multiple choice answer he was circling.

"Yeah, but I do!" I hissed. "He was going to sit here!"

"Was he? I didn't notice," Phoenix responded dully as he looked towards Aaron. "And you're not serious about going to that party, right?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked him.

"Because I don't like that kid," Phoenix countered.

"Why does that matter?" I bit.

He glanced at me and scoffed. "You can't possibly think that Aaron would actually..." Phoenix trailed and I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I can't possibly think that Aaron would what, Phoenix?" I asked as I crossed my arms.

"Nothing," Phoenix shook his head.

"You don't think I have a chance with him?" I asked Phoenix with narrowed eyes.

He immediately whipped his head around to look at me. "I didn't say that!" he defended.

"That's basically what you're saying!" I retorted with crossed arms.

"No, he—he just has a bad reputation," Phoenix informed me. "He's a player." I scoffed loudly.

"And what are you?" I snapped in response.