[ chapter eleven: two completely platonic people ]

Chapter 11: Two Completely Platonic People

"Elliot," I greeted him. He told me he'd be here this morning when I warned him that I had to talk to him.

"Grace," he nodded as he sat at the highest point of the bleachers.

"May I ask why you chose the top of the bleachers?" I muttered as I trekked up the steps.

"No, but you can ask yourself why not?" he reiterated.

"Oh, I know the answer already- because these things are so high," I replied as I dropped beside him.

"Scared of heights?" he asked me.

"No," I answered before staring at my hands.

"What'd you have to talk to me about?" he inquired.

I continued to stare at my palms. I don't exactly know how to start it. I'm not quite sure what you'd call the events that took place at homecoming committee yesterday. We stood awfully close and it was quite awkward. The only thing I could think about was Elliot and his stupid theories. I placed my hands on my head.

"I think Phoenix almost kissed me yesterday," I told him. "And I don't want to hear 'I told you so' because I swear I will rip out your jugular." As I looked at Elliot, he started laughing. "It's not funny!" I snapped as I shoved him. He fell over slightly before sitting upright again, continuing his laugh fest.

"I'm sorry," he finished chuckling. "Actually, I'm not. It's pretty funny."

"Of all people, why'd I come and talk to you?" I grunted.

"How did it happen?" he furthered his questioning.

"Well he was blocking off the doorway, and I tried to squeeze by. He grabbed my hand and he had this look on his face," I explained.

"A look?" Elliot asked, slightly confused.

"Yeah, he was, like, biting his lip and he just looked...I don't know, like he wanted to kiss me," I told Elliot. "But it's nothing, right? He probably would've wanted to kiss any girl in that situation. It was my fault for trying to squeeze by, you know? I doubt it meant anything."

"You literally just explained that he wanted to kiss you. Now you're talking about it meant nothing?" Elliot asked with a flat look on his face.

"If it meant something, that means you'd be right, and you're not right," I bluntly retorted.

"What would you have done had he kissed you?" Elliot asked.

"He can't," I replied.

"It's not that hard to kiss someone. You just lean in and...you know," he responded. Actually I don't know because I've never been kissed but I'll pretend I do know for the sake of conversation.

"No, I mean, he can't kiss me unless I ask him to," I told Elliot.

"Gee, for people who are completely platonic, you talk about kissing pretty often," Elliot expressed, earning a glare.

"What do I do? Things are so awkward now," I groaned, ignoring his previous statement.

"Talk to him about it," Elliot shrugged.

"Are you crazy?" I asked him. "Can I get some plausible advice? Thanks."

"You come to me for advice, but refuse to listen to what I tell you," he sighed.

"I'll just pretend it didn't happen," I muttered before perking up. "That's it! I'll just pretend it didn't happen!"

"That's not a very good-," he trailed but I cut him off, standing up.