[ chapter twenty four: me and phoenix ]

Chapter 24: Me and Phoenix

A week passed by and it seemed as though no one finished any of their summer work. I barely did. I was still doing it on the car ride to school. Don't get me started on Cam and Alice. Alice did half of it before deeming it as stupid and Cam spilled soup on it the second day of vacation. Phoenix actually did it but I think it was while he was on the plane. When I asked Leo how far he gotten, he responded with: "We had homework?" I'm just going to assume he thought I do schoolwork over vacation for fun.

By Friday, it seemed as if everyone was sick of school. Phoenix came to school every day exhausted, extremely tempted to sleep in class. However he managed to get through the week and he was so tired that I expected him to sleep all weekend; so when early Sunday morning came around and I get a text at one, I was more than curious to know what he wanted.

Are you awake? I was surprised to see his name pop up, but then again I shouldn't have been. He'd slept in until one in the afternoon so it only makes sense that he's awake right now.

No, sorry. Hopefully he doesn't take this response as an annoyed 'I'm trying to sleep so leave me alone.'

What are you doing? Thank goodness he didn't. I actually wanted someone to talk to. I can't sleep.

Lying in bed, what about you? Maybe he's doing something productive, like cleaning his room.

Absolutely nothing. Do you want to hang out? What? Like now?

Now?

Yes. I stared at his message. I mean, what do I have to lose? It's a Saturday night and I've done nothing all day but sit around and watch television.

Yeah. What? Is he coming over here? Or am I going over there? Or are we just going to sit outside.

Get dressed. I'll be outside in ten minutes. So I guess we're going somewhere.

I quickly got out of bed, pulling on a pair of sweatpants. I tugged a sweatshirt over my tank top, unplugging my cellphone and putting it into my pocket. I slowly opened my door, glancing down the hall to ensure that no one was awake. When I found all of the lights underneath the doors to be closed I slowly slipped down the hall.

Am I really sneaking out? This is such a rebellious teenager thing. I'm a rebel! I think my dad would be proud. I'm going to tell him tomorrow. You know what? Never mind. I think that would defeat the purpose of sneaking out. Besides, he'd tell my mom and she wouldn't be too happy with me.

I tiptoed down the steps, trying not to make noise as I arrived at the first floor landing. I reached the living room to see my brother lying on the couch with closed eyes. Is he asleep? He shifted slightly and my assumptions were confirmed. He's out cold. I reached the front door, slowly unlocking it as I stared at my sleeping brother, careful not to wake him. I slowly opened the door, cringing as it creaked loudly. Is he still asleep? Yes. I slipped out of the house, quietly closing the door. Phoenix was standing there, leaning against his car in the dark.

"You ready to go?" he asked me in a whisper and I nodded as I held my shoes in one hand. It was too dangerous to put them on and go down the steps; it'd make too much noise.

"Yeah," I answered as I walked towards him. I glanced towards the curtains to see that they were closed. I prayed my brother wouldn't wake up while I was gone.

"Let's go then," Phoenix responded as he opened the door for me. I got in the car, slipping my shoes onto my feet as we slowly drove off down the street.

"Where are we going?" I asked him as I glanced at the time. 1:12 A.M.

"I was thinking the beach," he told me.