[ chapter thirteen: i think he's right ]

Chapter 13: I Think He's Right

Saturday, October 24th, 2015

Dear diary,

A lot has happened since my last entry, which wasn't very long ago. But to make a long story short, Phoenix and I are friends now. It's not much of a story but it's just weird to say. Phoenix, my friend, and I are hanging out after school. Of course I wouldn't hang out with him. To be honest, I hadn't thought of him as a friend. I wouldn't have called him my friend if he hadn't seemed upset when I said we weren't friends. Now that I think about it though, we do hang out a lot. And as much as I hate to admit it, we spend a lot more time together than I do with Cam and Alice. And I hate to admit this more than anything, it's actually quite fun.

Homecoming is approaching and I haven't even bought a dress yet. Everyone's harassing me about it. I was supposed to go today with Cam and Alice, but, like usual, Cam got stuck babysitting and Alice had to go to her little cousin's birthday party. I'd go by myself, but...I'm not going by myself. I guess I'll have to wait until next weekend when they're both free.

Phoenix still thinks that I'm trying to get with Elliot. I'm surprised he hasn't figured out that Elliot has a girlfriend. I'm not telling Phoenix anytime soon or else he'll rush to try and find me a new homecoming date. He's stubborn that way. And to be honest, I'd rather go alone than with a guy I barely know.

I have to get going. Avery's banging on the door, demanding that I let her in. I'll write later, or tomorrow.

- Grace

"You still haven't bought a dress?" my sister asked as I lay on my bed with my hands behind my back. I barely made it to my closet in time to hide my diary.

"No," I told her. "I was supposed to get one today but Alice and Cam cancelled."

"You know, you have me," my sister responded. "I can always go shopping with you."

"You're mean," I told her as I closed my eyes.

"Mean?" my sister gasped. "How am I mean?"

"You're too blunt," I responded.

My sister scoffed as if she was insulted. "Well, I'm sorry that I'm honest. I'd think you'd appreciate that."

"There is such a thing as nice honesty, you know?" I responded.

"Get up," my sister insisted. I slowly sat up, giving her a glare.

"What?" I asked.

"We're going to get you a dress," my sister announced. I sighed and lay back down. Avery reached over and grabbed my arms, yanking me into a sitting position. "When I get back here, you better be changed into something decent."

I sighed as she left my room. I got up, changing into my jeans and a random shirt. I pulled on my shoes and grabbed my phone, leaving my room. My sister was waiting with the keys. "I dropped Leo off at work so I could have the car," she wiggled her eyebrows.

"Great," I sighed as I followed her down the steps. As we were leaving the house, I saw Phoenix outside, getting the mail. He noticed me and waved and I returned the gesture, earning an odd look from my sister. "What?" I asked as we got in the car.

"You waved at Phoenix," my sister informed me as if I wasn't the one doing the waving.

"I'm aware," I told her. "We're friends."

My sister snorted. "Don't tell Leo that," she scoffed.

"Why shouldn't I?" I inquired. I mean, I know he's protective of me but wouldn't he be glad that I made friends with his best friend?