Hideout

"Are you sure we'll be safe here?" Dipper asked, taking a flashlight from Ford. 

"I insulated this bunker against attacks from anything paranormal," Ford replied grimly. "It's a little old and broken down, but the outer defenses will still work against any ghosts or monsters."

Dipper clicked on the flashlight and shone it around the chilly bunker. It looked no different from the last time he'd been down here, except for some new gouge marks form their fight with the shape shifter. 

Mabel took a flashlight too and clicked it on underneath her chin.

"Muahahah," she giggled. Dipper laughed in response, trying to keep her mood up. It just wasn't right to see Mabel without a smile. 

They gathered around as Ford lit up the old computers and flicked on a few dim lights. 

"Alright. Gravity Falls is experiencing an outbreak of ghosts. We have to assume that Danny won't be able to help us. I don't know where Stan is, but there might be others who can help."

"Danny said that he always captured ghosts using... a thermos I think?" Dipper said, pulling out journal 2, which he had used to record the new ghost information. 

"It somehow uses ecto energy to kind of suck the ghost inside a pressurized container. Like a ghost magnet mixed with a vacuum. Could we make something like that?"

Ford took the journal and read it thoughtfully. Then he shook his head in defeat. 

"I'm no expert on ghosts. I just don't understand the science involved with capturing something that can move through walls."

Mabel sat bolt upright. Dipper jumped at her sudden movement and turned to look questioningly at her.

"Danny's family!" she burst out. 

"Remember what Wendy said? Their town is haunted all the time, and they've all caught ghosts before. We can get help from them!"

Ford looked taken aback. He nodded slowly, then faster, a grin spreading across his face. 

"Good thinking Mabel," he said with approval. "Ghost hunters AND scientists."

He whipped around and began to fiddle with the computer screens. They flashed on, flooding the dark bunker with light and color. Ford began to tune what looked like an old radio while typing coordinates on a monitor with a cracked screen. 

"Aha! Vehicle with trace amounts of ecto energy heading Southeast. At very unwise speeds," he added, standing up and swinging his coat over his shoulders. 

"Here," he said, tossing Mabel and Dipper small metal rods.

"These might now count for much, but ghosts can't directly touch this metal without suffering pain. It's the closest thing to a weapon I've got for you, so hang onto them."

Ford tucked extra into his belt and swung a plasma gun across his back. Dipper was stunned to see him grinning widely.

"Let's hunt some ghosts."