••••

"hey. hey. phil. put on your shoes. we're being forced to go outside."

phil and i put our shoes on at the same time and phil speaks.

"why? please don't do this to me bro. i heard of this anime called food wars we could watch."

"we have to venture out to the horrid sun or else i won't be able to watch anime till the end of time." (a/n: read time by polarizedcaulfield )

"ugh, fine, dan.

•••••

we walked to a nearby park. at the back there was a fence that had an opening large enough for someone to walk through.

"come on, phil."

i open the gate up for phil and let him inside, me following behind him.

"woah. this lake is huge."

the fence held a large lake with sparkling water and birds all around. there was a wooden bridge that i sat on, dangling my legs through a gap. phil sits next to me.

for a few minutes we just stare at the water below us. i clear my throat.

"phil. i need to ask a serious question. please don't laugh. but...may i stroke your glabella?"

i don't even know what a glabella is. i heard someone at school talk about it.

"what's a glabella?"

"let's find out what a glabella is."

i pull out my phone.

"glabella is the space between the eyebrows and above the nose."

phil touches his glabella. "there."

i repeat. "there."

"they've even got a chart."

"do you wanna go watch food wars, phil?" i get up and and move towards the hole in the fence.

"hell yeah!" phil yells from the bridge.

it starts to wobble.

the entire bridge falls in on itself.

"PHIL!"

i can't see where he is. his head hasn't reached the surface. he probably can't swim.

i drop my phone in the dirt in case i have to call for help.

i jump in the water to look for him.

"PHIL!"

i see bubbles.

when i go to where they were i spot a phil's ginger hair for one millisecond. i dive under the water. there his is. his foot is caught under a pile of rotting wood. he's struggling. then he stops moving.

i swim towards him and take his foot out of his shoe. i put his head above the surface and swim as fast as i can to the edge of the lake.

"PHIL! WAKE UP!" i yell when i lay him down on the muddy ground.

i grab my phone and call for an ambulance. i'm not dumb enough to not do so.

i remember a procedure that my mum always told me about, her being a nurse.

i turn phil's head to the side to get water from his mouth and nose, then pull it back to the center. i open phil's mouth and press mine against his. i hold his nose shut and breath four times with strong breathes.

i put my ear next to phil's mouth for any signs that he's breathing. nothing.

i wrap my hand around his wrist trying to feel a pulse. it's faint. he needs to get more oxygen. i start the process again. when i wrap my hand around his wrist again his eyelids twitch. he sits up rapidly and throws up. most of it being water.

he lies back down.

"dan. i have to ask you something."

"anything, phil."

"what's your middle name? what's the j stand for?"

"it's james, phil. it's james." i hold phil's head in my lap and wait for the ambulance. i call my mum and tell her where we are.

i don't know what i'm doing.

all i know is that i need to keep phil, my only friend, safe.