Chapter Three

We had been driving for a while and I felt it was time we’d stop to get something to eat. I turned back to the guys, and let them know I was going to be pulling off. They all were happy to be able to get out of the van, and I so desperately wanted to take a little walk to clear my mind. I pulled off at the next truck stop, and we all got up.

        “You coming in?” Maxx asked.

        I learned against the van, “In a minute.”

        “Alright, what do you want?” Austin asked.

        “Anything sounds good to me right now.” I replied.

        I sunk down to the ground, and place my hands on my head. I let out a sigh, and I felt Dan give me a soft kick in the side. I peered up at me, and he raised it brow. I stood up, and I could feel his eyes were still on me curious to know what was going on in my mind.

        “I can feel you still staring at me.” I stated.

        Dan laughed, “Yeah, I’m still waiting for you to talk, dude.”

        “What do you want me to say?” I asked.

        “I don’t know. I can tell something is on your mind though.” Dan stated.

        I sighed, “Yeah.”

        “Well?” he asked, “Spit it out dude.”

        “I’m worried that Gabby’s going to drop out of college to come with us everywhere we go.” I stated, and sighed. “I love Gabby I do, but if I have to be the reason she drops out, I don’t know how well it’ll work out.”

        “Have you told her this?” he asked, I shrugged, “Well why not?”

        I sighed, “Scared of her getting mad at me, I mean we still haven’t had our first fight yet, dude.”

        “So why not this be the reason, this is serious, Cody.” He replied, “You need to talk to her.”

        “When we get back, I will.” I replied.

        “You good then?” he asked, I nodded. “Let’s go eat then.”

        We both walked into the restaurant and sat down. I looked down to see the guys had ordered me a plate of something with egg. I gave them a small smile, and then look back at the food.

        “What is this?” I asked.

        Maxx laughed, “Zach ordered it.”

        “And what, ate half of it?” I asked while laughing.

        “I didn’t eat it, Austin did.” Zach announced, as he sat down, “Look at him.”

        Austin smiled, “I was hungry, and it was there, and you took forever. Hey, I left you the egg, be happy.”

        “Where’s the waiter?” I asked, “I want waffles.”

        “Waitress, dude.” Andrew stated.

        I sighed, “Whatever, I want waffles.”

        We all sat around the table waiting, and eventually the waitress came back over. I got my waffles, and everyone was happy I had finally shut up about it. We all finished eating, and then walked back out to the van. I knew my turn to drive wasn’t over yet, but Austin felt he wanted to drive. So I didn’t object.

        We had been driving for a while, when I felt I should text Gabby. I pulled my phone from my pocket, and started to type, “Hey babe, I really miss you. How’s getting you’re books going?” I looked up to see Maxx leaned over the seat.

        “What?” I asked.

        He smiled, “Nothing, but I need to ask you something.”

        “What’s that?” I asked.

        “Is this loud?” he asked, and popped a balloon next to my face.

        “Fuck, yes that’s loud.” I yelled, as I sat up and punched him, “Why’d you do that?”

        Austin laughed, “Because I told him too.”

        “What he give you, a dollar?” I asked.

        “Nope, a bag of chips.” Maxx replied.

        I sighed, “Shut up and drive Austin, and Maxx I’ll get you back.”

        Austin went back to driving, and Maxx sat back down in the front seat. I lay back in the back of the van, and Andrew leaned over to look at me. I sighed, “Now what.” I thought to myself. I saw he was holding my phone, and I smiled. He laughed, and I took it from him to see I had a text from Gabby, “I actually just got up from a nap with Dexter.” I read to myself.

        “Aw, send me a picture of you both.” I sent.

        Seconds later, I got a picture message, “Here you go, babe.”

        “You two are so cute, only a few more days, and I’ll be home.” I sent back to her.

        I put my phone down next to me and I felt Zach nudge me. I looked up at him and slapped my hand to his cheek. He laughed, and I laughed as well. It wasn’t long before Maxx started to play some music, and we all started to dance around and sing to it. I felt as my mind was washed for the moment of all thought of Gabby dropping out of college, and I was actually stress free.