Chapter 4: Sharing my studio with someone

I head to ballet, sighing in relief. Today wasn't as bad as yesterday and besides it's Friday!
I quickly change. I enter the studio. I stretch my legs out and wait for others to come.

I always come early to stretch and to practice.
I hear giggle and chattering enter the studio. I really miss having someone to talk to.
I had a best friend, Rachel who was currently ignoring me. "How could you?" she had said. I could I what?
Recently, I had realised how shallow she was and how she was easily swayed by others.

"Bonjour, mademoiselles. We have a new student." Madame Lamborne's voice fills the room.
Her voice interrupts my thoughts. I shove it deep inside my thinking shelf.
I turn to look at her. I gasp. The boy with gree- Sean was here. He gives me an wink.

"Introduce yourself, s'il vous plait?" Madame Lamborne continues.
"Hi, my name is Sean Becker." he answers.
"What inspired you to do ballet?" she asks.

"Well, my younger sister, Emily was practicing ballet. She started when she was three.
I was four. She died, when she was 7. I started to ballet to honour her memory and I actually started to enjoy it. So here I am." he says, calmly.
I look at the rest of the girls, they are literally swooning. I don't blame them, it's hard to find a guy who is sensitive yet hot.

I look at him, trying to see what the other girls see.
All I see, typical guy. Cocky, confident and of course sporty.
He boldly holds my eye contact.

"Sean, dear. Please take the empty spot next to Emma." she says.
DEAR? My mental automatic feminist voice pipes up.
I tell it to shut up, before it starts to complain about the differences in the treatment of males and females.
He moves quickly and soon is standing behind me. I feel all the girls glaring at me. My back is literally burning from their harsh glares.

I concentrate on my dancing. In the corner of my eye, I watch him dance. He is amazing. His legs move firmly yet softly. His jumps are beautiful and strong. His movements are like water, big and smooth. His eyes meet mine and he grins. I roll my eyes and continue on my dancing.
Kelly, one of our best dancers, batts her eyelashes at him at every opportunity.
She twirls like crazy and almost crashes into the bar. I have to bit my tongue to hold in my laughter.
It looks like she has something in her eyes.

He steals glances in my direction. I look behind to see no one. Why is he looking at me?
Is this some kind of game? I return his glances with glares. He grins, pleased.
"Mademoiselles and Monsieur. You are dismissed." she says. I step out of the studio, immediately.

Sean, swiftly follows me and disappears into the the male changing room. Huh. That's weird. I thought he was the type of guy who loved attention. The girls squeal and gossip amongst themselves.
"He is so HOT!!!" one girl squeals.
The others squeal in agreement. How do you communicate through squeals?

I quickly change and exit the studio building. I take the bus and head to Sloane street.
I sneak into the studio. I turn on the lights.

Do I hear breathing? I think I heard footsteps! My palms turn clammy and I freeze. Calm down!
Emma, it's just your imagination! No one else is her-

"Wow, this is impressive!" says a male voice. I jump. Who could it be? My heart is pounding in my chest. I turn around.
I turn to see Sean there.
He gazes the room, his bright green eyes filled with interest.
"Get out!" I snapped. After all, it was my secret hideout and plus he scared the wits out of me.
He ignores me and says, "So you practise here? At night?" he asks. Emma, do not answer his ques- Dammit!

"Yeah. Did you stalk me?' I ask. His cheeks turn slightly red and looks down. At least he has the grace to look embarrassed.
"Yeah." he says, sheepishly.
"Why?" I ask, as my own curiosity wins me over.
"Curiosity." he answers. Is curiosity the key word here? Or did he just read my mind?

Before I can ask another question.
"Let's dance." he says and starts dancing the weirdest routine.
I huff at his movements, but I feel like laughing. He looks so silly! I stand there trying to hold back laughter. He holds out his hand.
"Come on. I won't bite." he says, smirking. Oh, so now he is challenging me. Bring it on!

I take it and we are spinning around and around.
The studio is now a blur. My hair is flying and I feel like laughing.
He starts moving faster and faster. I follow his lead. Soon we are spinning out of control.
I feel so free. I am fully aware that I am alive, by the way the breeze hits my hair, the spinning room and my moving feet.

I look at him, his green eyes are full of energy and amusement.
His hair is sticking up in different directions. I can't even imagine what I look like right now.
I feel the corners of my mouth go up. This time, I don't stop it. I can't help it.

It's been weeks, maybe months since I smiled.
Even Jake didn't really know how to make me smile like Sean did.
We only just met and I am more comfortable dancing with him than with my own brother!

He wasn't as bad as I thought. Better enjoy it when you can, says a nagging voice in my head. I shut it away.
Sharing the studio with someone, made me feel like I mattered for the first time.
Like I existed and that someone knew that.
He flashes a grin as we tumble on the ground, laughing. Our laughter echoes through out the studio.