Chapter Fourteen: The Beginning of the End.

Start from the beginning

“I came here to tell you,” Peter whispered in her ear, “that a ship has docked on the shores. I thought we should all go down and see who it is.” He offers and Kaytee grins excitedly at him. They wake the children, who, intern, rub their eyes, yawning.

“Alright, you sleepy good-for-nothings,” Peter crows playfully, “I bring news of a ship! It's pulled up to port, and I say we need to go make sure those pirates know who's in charge of this island. How 'bout you?”

All sleepiness lost in a fit of excitement, the children cheer and run to grab swords, sling shots, bows and arrows.Kaytee goes to help them with straps and marbles while Peter watches on, his own sword still secured to his belt.

Behind the excitement in his voice, he was worried. The ship was not normal... he wasn't even sure there was a single pirate on there. But he knew that if the children had found out there was a ship and weren't invited to investigate, he would've had a riot on his hands. It was better, he thought, that if he treated this like a game of fun, the children would be safer, and Kaytee would be as well. He didn't need to burden the rest with his worries, and he had at least one other who knew the situation to what it really was, and that person was Sammy. To Peter, that was all he needed.

Kaytee secured her own gold sword, a birthday present years ago from Peter, with the engravings 'Don't die, we still have lots of awfully big adventures'. She smirked at the familiar words, and sheathed it as she followed the children out of the Home. Peter grabbed her hand, and kissed her knuckles, pushing away his worries before she can catch the anxious glint in his eyes. Because if anyone knew what Peter Pan was feeling, it was his wife; sometimes, she knew what he was feeling even before he himself did.

*_*_*

Meanwhile, Sammy Pan visited his mermaid one more time, but more for business than pleasure. He wanted to know what was up with this ship: Who was on it? Who was the captain? Why were they here?

If anyone were to know, it would be a mermaid because, especially when it came to the island, mermaids knew everything and anything. Angel would know every detail of the ship, right down to the crew count.

Sammy landed on the ground and ruffled his wind-blown locks of hair, smiling as he walked into the cavern. Angel was lying on her back, one arm behind her head as she stared up at the ceiling, her tail flicking absently in the water. She was humming, but stopped and turned her head when she heard him approach. She grinned and sat up, wrapping her arms behind his neck when he kissed her briefly.

“I'm proud of you, Sammy.” She tells him as he takes a seat beside her. He smiles.

“Thanks.” he shrugs and then remembers the reason he really came here. “So what's up with the ship that just docked?” he asks her, stretching his arms back. He was still a little sore from the fall... he winced when he remembered the pain, but quickly pushed it out of his mind. He looked up to Angel, but her brows were up to her hairline, knitted together, and her mouth was in a pout, her blue orbs wide in what was unmistakeably confusion.

“A ship?” she breathes, “What ship?”

Now it's Sammy's turn to be confused.

“The ship on the shore...?” he trails off, and thinks that if he describes it, maybe it'll trigger something. “It has big white sails, and red-ish wood with a gold anchor on the side. I didn't see a captain...actually, I didn't see a single person on it... .” He stops when she starts shaking her head.

“Sammy,” she says, “I don't know anything about a ship. This is news to me. And a first. But how can this be? It...it's not right... mermaids can see everything... .”