She gave me one last nod and turned around. I was watching her every step, hoping that she was heading for the door but my hopes were thrown out the window when she walked in between tables towards a booth where two other people, most likely her cousins, were sitting.

I turned around, trying to work as far away from them as possible. But it was impossible as the area where the lattes were made were on the side that faced them.

As I was making another customer’s drink, I snuck a glance towards the girl in the corner of my eyes and saw her holding her phone, looking like she had just taken a photo and then tapping on it with a smile. 

Did she just take a picture of me? Did she know who I was? Was she a fan of One Direction?

My questions were pushed away as the cup I was filling with milk had overflown causing it to spill on the counter and the floor. I jumped, trying to avoid the milk from splattering onto my shoes.

“Shoot.” I quickly grabbed a rag and wiped down the counter. Then I grabbed a mop and started to clean the floor. I snuck another glance at the girl and saw her looking at me but she quickly looked away. I grabbed another clean rag and started to clean the shelves underneath the counter that had gotten a bit of milk in it. When I finished cleaning, I stood up and looked towards the booth that the girl and her cousins were sitting it but found no one there. They had left. 

I couldn’t shake the nervousness that had grown inside of me as soon as the girl asked if she knew me from somewhere. I had gone 4 months without anyone noticing me. I was surprised Trine and Sophie didn’t know me, I would place them as fans of One Direction but they said that they don’t listen to that kind of music. I breathed a sign of relief when they had told me that. They wouldn’t know me.

It was now nearing the end of my shift. I had opened with Trine. Sophie and her mom came to work the afternoon shift with us and they were going to work the evening shift.

I was finishing up washing the blenders, getting them clean for the evening shift. The shop had died down a bit but would soon be filling up with customers coming off from their work. 

I started pulling off my apron as soon as I finished and I cashed in my tips. I was about to say bye to Sophie and Trine when I turned around and saw them standing beside each other and looking at me. I froze and just looked back at them.

A few awkward seconds later, they exchanged looks and Trine nodded. They looked at me again.

“Look, we noticed you…that something was bothering you today,” Trine spoke. She paused and looked at me with worried eyes. “Are…are you okay?” 

I grew nervous again. 

“Nothing was bothering me,” I said, avoiding their gazes, hoping they wouldn’t catch my lie. “I…I was just tired. I’m sorry, I couldn’t sleep last night.” 

“You could’ve just called in sick, we would’ve understood and called someone else in,” Sophie said.

“I know, I’m sorry,” I said, “I would’ve felt bad though. I promise, it won’t happen again.” I gave them a small smile, hoping they would leave it at that. 

They looked at each other again, a hint of nervousness growing in their faces. What were they thinking about? I gave them a suspicious look as they looked at me again. 

“Did this have to do with what happened yesterday?” Trine asked. 

I froze, my heart dropping into my stomach. My heart beat quickening. I looked down, avoiding their worried gazes.

“N-no, not at all,” I stuttered, “it has nothing to do with yesterday.”

“Isla, if there’s anything you want to talk about, me and Trine are here for you,” Sophie said.