Chubby Cheeks 9

Mrs. Grainer, a plump cute woman who was stronger for her age, has always shown me affection and graced me with immense love that she was my world now; granny cautiously crept into my heart when it was too hard for me to cope.

I was walking absent-mindedly that day, after days of sad tragedy that hit me a traumatic gear and my parents was no more. It was all so sudden, my heart whimpered like a small child and many neighbors started pouring in. I was unnervingly alone and everything was happening so fast. It was much later that day when Fabio came, and then it was too hard for me keep still, I blacked out with so much stress and tears.

After days of trauma, Fabio went back and the funeral was done. Once again I was alone as my cousin Linda, flew back to Florida when I was healthy and legally permitted to live alone. At times it was happily serene to be alone, but when depression hits and you need someone to hear you cry, the lone corridors will freak you don't need much pressure to cry. I never knew I had a cousin as such and I have never heard from her since then. So much for being family; I used to say whenever I remember the quiet girl.

One fine day after all those drama, I was walking absent-mindedly when I reached the last house in the street with miles of land and beautiful fields stretching out making me feel small, so very small. I wished if father was here with me to see this. I wish if mom could have been there for a while longer. And then it hit me, the reality was heart breaking and I crumbled into a fetal position and cried hysterically. An old lady came rushing to my aid and started soothing me, with cooing words and love, she coerced her entry with waffles and pancakes. She is my granny now. And I could never let her heart ache.

I never realized that I reached her home with so much in my mind. I can hear laughter and chatter, which means Alex, is still there. I will have to see him again. Suddenly, I felt anxious and was about to retreat when Alex opened the door and kissed my granny on her palms and turned around, startled to see me.

"Angela... what are you doing here?"

"I...umm came to..."

"Angel, it's a pleasant surprise to see you again twice in a day. That's amazing, but, don't you dare, this old rag is not going anytime soon. I just found about my children and they are all happily waiting to receive me, so I want to go by their graves and watch wind playing with the rose petals that I am going to shed. I am quite at peace now and....young girl, you are my owner now."

"I..."

"Angela, I told her about it, I couldn't live a lie and oh, her children..."

"I just knew about it, and I was running back to tell her."

"Angel that was mighty kind of you to come back only to break the news, and not like this selfish child who kept this news to himself."

"Grandma, I told you... I didn't know how you will take this and if you had accepted this otherwise, I wouldn't want to lose you because of me."

"That was so kind of you love, now... leave me alone for the rest of the afternoon; I am so tired after both of you. But, I have to tell you how much you both made me feel today. Like a queen, without a crown, so thank you my kids."

I hugged her tight and pecked lightly on her cheeks and watched Alex do the same. It was nice to feel the sun on my face and walk freely without burdening the stomach. Suddenly panic hit me. I was too dumbfounded to reply her; didn't she call me her owner? Ooh, I will have to do something about that. I mentally calculated about talking with Fabio and somewhere in between I was interrupted with a chuckle. Alex.

"Hi dreamy princess, are you dreaming about a white horse and me in a tuxedo?"

"Please...you seem so sure about yourself Mr. White horse, but it's going to be difficult to paste my heart into your framed picture."