Chapter Three

I stare out at the big brick house where I grew up. The front porch light is on, but the window in my parent's bedroom on the second floor is dark. I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm not sure I can handle a fresh lecture about my car. I know they'll be pissed I didn't call the insurance company right away, but it can wait until tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

I twist the large rusted handle and the door of the truck creaks open.

Knox gets out and goes around to the back to start unloading my things. I join him, taking the smaller suitcase and my large duffel bag.

"If you just set it all here, I can carry it in," I say.

He ignores me and picks up the larger suitcase and one of the big boxes. "I got it," he says. His eyes drift over the neighborhood and he gives a subtle shake of his head before looking at me. "Just lead the way."

There's no use arguing, so I lead him up the walkway toward the front door. It takes three trips for us to get all my stuff onto the porch. I set down the box I'm carrying and reach under the fake potted plant and grab the key.

Before I unlock the door, though, I turn to Knox. I'm not sure how to even say thank you for what he's done for me tonight. I'm still holding the silver chain in my fist and I fidget with it as we stand there.

"I really appreciate everything," I say, but it doesn't sound like enough. He'd held me for almost half an hour before I finally calmed down enough to say a word, which basically means this guy deserves the Olympic Gold Medal for kindness. The fact that he doesn't even know me at all makes it practically evidence for sainthood.

I open my mouth to say something more, but before I get the chance, the door beside me flies open.

My heart drops to my stomach when I see the look on my mother's face. She's already judged this situation and she's already pissed.

"Leigh Anne?" She looks from me to Knox with a very deliberate turn of her head. She lifts her chin and grips the edge of the door. "What on earth is going on here? We were expecting you home hours ago."

"I know, I'm sorry," I say. I spit the story out fast so she doesn't have time to jump to any other conclusions about why I'm standing here in the middle of the night with a strange guy. "A deer ran out in front of my car and I swerved and ended up in a ditch instead. I didn't have any cell service to call you, but luckily Knox here was driving by at just the right time. He was kind enough to load my things in his truck and bring me home."

"Good grief. How many times have I told you to slow down and pay better attention when you're driving at night?" She makes a clicking sound with her tongue. "Is the car okay? It's practically brand new, Leigh Anne."

Knox clears his throat, but doesn't say anything. I look up at him and he raises an eyebrow, probably waiting for me to come clean on just how fucked the car really is. But I'll tell her later. Right now, all I want is to get upstairs and crawl into bed.

"Do you know Knox, Mom?" I change the subject and it seems to distract her for the moment.

She narrows her eyes at him, then leans over to get a better look at the beat-up old truck he's driving. "No, I don't believe I've had the pleasure." She smiles, but her tone is filled with venom disguised as honey. Someone who doesn't know her might not be able to pick up on it, but I recognize it right away. She uses it when she's thinking something nasty about someone but doesn't feel it's socially appropriate to say it out loud. "Are you a student here at the university?"

"No, ma'am," he says, taking me a bit by surprise. "I'm not really the college type."

My mother tugs at her robe, pulling it tighter across her body. "Oh. Well, it's not for everyone, I suppose," she says. An awkward silence falls around us. "Thank you very much for bringing my daughter home safely. You have a good night, now."

She's basically kicking him off her property, and I am infinitely embarrassed by her rudeness.

"Thank you, ma'am." He nods his head toward her, then looks at me. "It was really nice to meet you, Leigh Anne."

"You too," I say. "Hopefully I'll run into you around town sometime."

"I hope so," he says.

He holds my gaze and I get the feeling he wants to say something else. Instead, he turns and nods again to my mother before heading back toward his truck.

I watch him go and feel the pull of regret. We shared something intense and I let him see me more vulnerable than anyone has in a very long time. If ever. It's strange to see him just walk away without there being something more between us. Of course, between my crazy sobbing and my mother's condescending tone, he's probably more than happy to be getting the hell out of here.

The truck's engine turns over a couple of times before it sputters to life. Knox throws it into gear and raises his hand in a half wave, then drives away, leaving me with a strange hollow feeling in my stomach.