Chapter Twenty-Six:

Start from the beginning

He shifted, trying to keep his blood moving but it was becoming more and more difficult, and to make matters worse, his back was beginning to feel like someone was taking razor blades and jabbing them into his spine.

"You'll be okay," Jack whispered back, placing a quick kiss to her ice cold hair as he pulled her closer to him, if that was even possible.

She began to shiver as she gripped his jacket so hard her knuckles were white. Jack began to rub her arms again as he tried to keep himself from shivering too.

"I don't know, Jack," Jackie almost cried as she moved to look at him.

When he saw her face, he realized with a start that Jackie's lips were already turning blue and suddenly he remembered the baby.

"No, Jackie, you will make it; we will both make it," Jack said strongly, his words shaking as he shivered.

She stared at him for a few seconds, before nodding and burying her face back into his shoulder. "I'm...j-just...sssooo...tired," Jackie managed to weakly slur as she fought to keep her eyes open.

"Just...st-tay awake," Jack told her as his teeth began to chatter.

Suddenly he spotted a flash of light faintly shining through the thick snow and frost covered back window, and it was beginning to grow bigger and brighter.

"Jackie!" Jack managed to shout, his voice tight.

She didn't move.

"Jackie!" He shouted again as he gave her a rough shake. "A light! A car! I think someone found us!"

Jackie let out a soft groan, her eyes refusing to open as her body laid limply in his arms.

"Come on, Jackie, sit up," Jack told her gently, almost begging as he shivered in now fear as well as cold.

After five painfully long seconds, Jackie managed to slowly push herself up, her muscles seemingly useless as she struggled to get a grip on Jack as he helped pull her up.

The windows were suddenly wiped clean of snow and a light shone into the car, lighting up Jack and Jackie's faces.