Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Stop it. You have to know. I thought you were so cute back when you were in high school." The warmth grew warmer still, and little by little, the pain faded into the darkest, tiniest recess of his mind. His filters fell down, crumbling into nothing as he said, "But if I'd done anything, Christ... I'd probably be in jail. But damn, baby, you were gorgeous back then and I remember watching you run that track and think, if only I could get five minutes alone with her."

She tucked a lock of shimmering gold hair behind her ear, her smile as wistful as it was embarrassed. "You did not."

"I did. And I should probably stop talking before I say something I regret, but Kelly, you haunted me. I was twenty-three, horny as hell and able to go all night, and there you were... this adorable little blonde who had no idea just how hot she was." He tugged on her hand, pulling her down against him. As she curved against him, he whispered, "It's probably a good thing you didn't know what I was thinking, honey. For both of us."

She snuggled against him, one hand coming to rest on his chest, where her warmth sank into him, became his. "You're so full of it."

"I am telling you the truth, Kelly. You wore those corduroy OP shorts and I'd be thinking just how your legs would feel around my waist, how your lips would feel against mine, how you'd feel as you moved with me, like you do now." He let his fingers skim along her hair. It was so soft, he couldn't resist touching it. "And while I'm thinking this, I'm trying to keep my hands from moving off your hips while helping you do a fucking pull up. Your shirt came untucked, your stomach was flat. You smelled good. Christ, I wanted you. You have no idea how much I wanted you."

"How do you remember that?" She lifted her head to gaze at him, a hint of a smile at her lips. At least, he hoped it was a smile. It was entirely possible he was creeping her out now. He certainly wouldn't fault her if he was, he was almost creeping himself out.

He bent slightly to kiss the top of her head. "Because a guy remembers certain girls and the effect they have on him. And you had an effect on me." He pulled her closer. "You definitely had an effect on me."

He remembered it as clear as yesterday. After giving him attitude about doing the pull ups, she finally relented and tried to do one. However, she just hung there. "I don't think I can do this, Mr. Marino."

He sighed, moving around to stand in front of her. It was better than being behind her, because like the other girls, she lived in OP corduroy shorts and the purple ones she wore fit her a little too well, put thoughts in his mind that no teacher should ever have about a student.

But he tried to ignore them as he caught her hips and lifted. She was light, which made sense considering how tiny she was. She couldn't have weighed more than a hundred and ten pounds.

A hint of something floral teased him. Perfume. Light. Sweet. Damn it. She smelled so good. He closed his eyes briefly. This wasn't good. His blood grew hot, slowly changing direction.

Oh.

Shit.

No. No. No. Christ, he wasn't a kid. He had more control over his own damn body than this.

"How many of these do I have to do?"

He looked up.

A total mistake.

He almost groaned out loud. Her white tee shirt had pulled from the waist of her shorts and he found himself looking right at her bare midriff. Her stomach was flat. Tanned. And he had the wildest urge to lean in and sweep his lips against that smooth-looking skin, to flick his tongue into her navel.