Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Two-Bit, will you shut up already? You're gonna wake him up!" I whisper. He laughs.

"I'm sorry! I can't help it!" he whispers back. We sneak into the living room of the Curtis house and approach a sleeping Dallas Winston. I put my index finger to my lips to signal for him to be quiet. He smiles with his teeth showing to hold back a laugh.

"Hand that to me," I whisper as I point to a tube in his hand. He gives it to me, and I unscrew the top. I bring out the mascara wand and put some on Dally. I smile as I do so. Dally shakes his head and rolls to his side. Luckily he's facing us.

"You want this?" He shows me the eyeshadow. I nod. "He's gonna be mad..."

"Not when I tell him I did it." I flash Two-Bit an evil smirk.

"Jeez, JT. You look like a killer." I smile again as I choose a nice. bright shade of blue to "compliment" Dally's brown eyes. I giggle at the thought.

I take the applicator and quickly brush some on. He scrunches his face a little before relaxing again. I look to Two-Bit who gives me a proud thumbs-up.

"Give me the deadliest one you have," I whisper playfully. "Give me the red lipstick." I hold out my hand while focusing on Dally's face. It doesn't look too bad so far! I am proud of myself!

I bite my bottom lip as I bring dark red color to Dally's light colored lips. He scrunches his nose again. I finish the final touches and stand up. Two-Bit shakes my shoulders a little.

"He is gonna kill us!" he whispers.

"No, just you."

"Why?"

"Because you're Two-Bit and I'm JT."

"Well that ain't fair," he says. I smile and nod.

"We better get some sleep. Don't want to miss the fireworks in the morning." He agrees.

I go to my room and place the makeup on the vanity. I pick up the letter my mom sent. I feel like I should send one back, but I'm not sure if I really want to. I'm not sure about anything anymore. Since I found out that my dad died, I've been extremely unsure of everything. I can't even decide if I want to go home...

But what am I saying? I love it here! The boys are my family. They support me and care for me. They're the best friends I've always needed instead of my old ones. They're good people, and I love them in that sibling kind of way. I've never had sisters or brothers on my own. It's nice though. I wish I did.

I yawn and realize it's getting really late. I place the letter back and crawl under my warm covers. I smile as I imagine Dally's reaction to his late night makeover. 

•••

"Well done, Ms. Thompson. Or shall I call you JT? You've done a marvelous job," my teacher says.

"Thanks!"

"You've been one of the best students to go through this and learn as much as you did. I should do this more often." She laughs. "You've been able to change one hundred percent. I'm so proud of you."

"Well that makes one of us..."

"What's wrong? You should be happy!"

"It's just that... Do I have to go back home? I mean, I really love it here."

"Well, would you like to stay?"

"Honestly, I would. They've done so much for me. I can't just leave them now. But then again, I should go home too. Mom misses me, and she needs me. I know the letters are real. That's her handwriting and all. I'm just confused. I love my family, but I love this one too..."