Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I finally got over feeling sick. No one was convinced I felt better, except for Ponyboy. He probably thinks I'm annoying because I talk so much when I'm sick. But he laughs it off and allows me to be that way.

Darry was the one who was least convinced, simply because I looked as bad as I had felt before. He said I still felt warm with a fever. I blamed it on being in bed for the past two days.

But now I'm perfectly fine! I guess now I can mark off "Get sick while in the 1960's" off my non-existing bucket list. I should really make one now. But I don't have time. I'm always up and about whether it's hanging out or going somewhere with the boys. We're always busy.

I still haven't seen Dally lately. That kind of worries me too. He's always up to something. He could be anywhere. I guess we'll hear out of him soon. He's just missing in action.

Ponyboy and I walk up to his house, seeing everyone there. They're all hanging around asking each other what they should do.

"Where've you two been?" Darry asks, being cautious as usual.

"Just walking," I answer. Usually, he lets Pony get away with stuff if I answer. I guess he doesn't want to be "rude" to me. I could honestly care less if he got onto me or not. Someone's gotta set the limits.

"Well alright..."

"Hey, watch this," Steve says. He climbs onto the hood of an older car and does a front flip. He lands perfectly on his feet but soon tumbles onto the grass. He starts laughing as he jumps up. We all can't help but laugh at the guy. He was just that ignorant to try that and land on a hill.

"That works out for you, man," Soda tells him. Steve playfully pushes him. They begin to wrestle on the ground just being stupid, as usual.

I look to my left as someone walks up to us. What do you know? Dally is officially still on the planet. He nods as he sees us.

"Hey, man. Where you been?" Two-Bit asks him.

"Oh, you know. Around," he replies cooly. "The cops talking to me a lot. You know how they are."

"Yeah. Only 'cause of that record of yours," I tell him.

"You know it."

"Look, what's everyone doing?" Soda asks. "I don't wanna just stand here all night."

"I don't know, little buddy," Darry answers.

"Find a party or somethin'," Steve says.

"No, no, no. You got a broad with you. She ain't gonna wanna be around that kinda stuff," Dally says, sticking up for me.

"The best I can think of is go cause some trouble," Ponyboy says. I can't help but laugh to myself. These boys live for making trouble!

"Drive-in?" Johnny asks. They all nod and agree.

"Yeah, c'mon. It's getting dark anyway," Dallas says. The eight of us begin walking. I'm not sure if everyone is 100% up for actually sitting and watching something. I'm pretty sure they're all gonna cause trouble. I probably won't. What's the point? I'm not like all of them. I sure ain't a boy looking for harmless fun, that's for sure.

Of course Dally sneaks in under the fence. He hates doing things the legal way. He's just so stubborn to do things the right way. It's like some sort of voice telling him to just do everything illegal. I guess he does it for kicks. I don't really know.

First things first, Steve and Soda offer to go get drinks and popcorn. A few of us actually settle down in a seat to actually watch the movie. I know Dally is about to be up to something. But why am I so concerned about him doing something? I guess I want him out of trouble. At least someone cares about him...