Chapter 11

Chapter 11 

The next few days went by too slowly for me to handle. I was about to go crazy over this rumble because I know people get hurt and maybe even die in them. I for sure don't want that to happen to anyone in the gang. I'd be devastated.  

Today's the day though. I know that tonight, they'll all be in the lot rather than behind a building or something. This is kind of a good thing for me because I won't have to worry about someone's head being bashed in on a brick wall or something. Just the thought of this is getting me scared.  

Everyone's out doing something today. Except me though. I didn't want to go anywhere. I'm too scared and nervous that I can't contain myself. All I've been doing for these past few days is talk and talk and talk. I know I got annoying because I started bothering myself.  

I haven't even bothered getting out of bed. I know it was well close to noon when I woke up and all. It's probably one in the afternoon now. I'm just too scared. But this morning, Soda and Ponyboy asked if I was sick or something. I didn't even answer so they left me alone. Darry was gracious enough to leave leftovers from breakfast, or what was supposed to be my original plate. But whatever.  

I finally crawl out of bed and shower away the empty, cold feeling overtaking me. I eat and do my dishes, as usual. I then sit on the couch and stare at the television while it's off. I don't even want to turn it on or anything.  

I take a deep breath to sort all of this out. They'll be in the lot tonight at about 8:00. That's just about when it gets dark in the summer. No weapons, just a fair rumble. They'll be out there fighting for their social differences... And hopefully no one will lose their lives... 

I run my fingers through my hair. This is too much for me. I'll go crazy if I stay here. I decide to go for a walk up through town to get some fresh air. Besides, the socs can't touch me before the rumble.  

I go outside and first notice how gray the sky looks. I guess it's gonna rain soon. It's hasn't rained since me and Johnny talked in the lot. I guess it always rains when someone's in the lot. Hm... 

I have no idea where I'm going. I just need to clear my head. I'm aggravated to the point of going crazy. All the boys assured me they've come out in one piece before. But this time, I don't know. The tension is so heavy and violent. Now that everyone's a little older, they can fight better than before. And the socs are just always that way. I just have a feeling that it won't end up well. Someone's gonna get really hurt.  

I walk past a group of socs talking to each other. I hear a familiar name and that catches my attention. I listen for as long as I can.  

"Yeah. That rumble's tonight," one says. "You going?" 

"I don't know. You know who's gonna be there?" a second asks. They begin naming greasers I don't know and a few socs.  

"I hope them Curtis boys and their friends will be there," a third says.  

"Oh yeah. How could I forget? Tonight, I'm gonna kill that Dallas Winston," the first soc says.  

"You don't mean that do you? You know the rules," another one speaks up.  

"I know the rules," he replies. "I hate that Winston. I'll figure out something. I'll probably hide a switchblade with me or something." 

"You shouldn't. Think about this..." 

"I have!" he snaps. "Now keep quiet. No one can know but us." 

I walk away from the scene as quickly as I can. He's gonna kill Dally! I've got to tell him! If I tell anyone else, they'll get in the way and get hurt instead. I don't want any of them hurt! What am I gonna do?! I've got to find Dallas.