Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"I don't know which one you want," Soda says, pointing to the untouched closet. I stare at the pretty simple dresses. I turn and face him to see a bittersweet smile on his face. This must be hard for him, seeing his mother's things.

"Thanks," I tell him. He nods and walks out of the room. I choose an army green dress with a three-quarter length sleeved sweater. The skirt is a plaid design. After I change, I pin my hair back like I've seen done from girls on the streets. I put on a flat pair of shoes and glance into a dusty mirror. I look like a soc. But it's just for a short time. I think it's kind of funny.

I step out of the room and notice that everyone but the Curtis brothers left. All eyes fall on me. The three look at me in awe.

"I feel like a soc," I complain to lighten the mood.

"She looks like mom, Darry," Soda says quietly. "What do you think about that, Ponyboy?"

"Wow..." he answers quietly.

"Does anyone else feel like I'm some sort of undercover worker?" I ask. They can't help but smile.

"Yeah. But we need to hurry up and get going," Darry says. He hands me a folded piece of paper and some money. "Dally will walk with you, by the way. Thanks, JT," he says. Then he nods to Soda. "Let's get going, little buddy. We'll be late."

Soda messes with Pony's hair and waves to me. He leaves and the door slams behind him. Ponyboy grabs a comb to fix his hair.

"I hate when he does that..." he mumbles.

"So... What are you gonna do while I'm gone?" I ask.

"I'll probably go find Johnny or somethin'. You remind me of my mom," he adds randomly.

"Do I really?" I look down at the skirt, holding the material in my fingers.

"Yeah. And you do look like a soc. I guess they won't fight with you now," he says. I shrug.

"I guess not. But now I gotta walk with Dally. I know he ain't wanting to do that."

"He might. Dally's a cool guy once you get to know him. He don't care. He's too tough to care," he explains. "Besides, he likes a good fight if he can get himself one."

"And if he's outnumbered?"

"He'll still fight. That's all we do to survive around here. You dig?" I nod. That's a sad thought. They literally have to fight for their lives out here.

"Well, I better get going, Ponyboy. Stay safe, alright?" I tell him.

"Okay. Same to you." I slip the money and paper in the pocket of the dress, (How convenient!), and see Dally leaning against the gate outside. He lights a cigarette and looks up at me.

"Are you just gonna stand there or what?" I ask.

"I guess so," he says.

"I didn't realize you have a staring problem, Dallas." He chuckles.

"Don't get wise, now." I shrug.

"Alright. Let's just this over with. I'm not feeling too got in this dress," I comment.

We begin walking. The sun beats down on my shoulders, making me warmer. I take the thin sweater off to reveal the top half of my arms. I feel weird walking around this side of town with Dally in a dress. But I guess it's not the worst situation I'll ever be in.

"So tell me something about yourself," I say.

"Whoa now. I ain't one for sharing my life's story."