Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Today, I find myself taking up some serious cleaning. Only because they either can't do it or won't do it. Either way, I'm gonna do it.

I stand outside with a basket full of damp sheets and other clothes. I clean off the clothesline and begin hanging things up with wooden pins.

I feel a little strange doing this. I haven't done much laundry in my life, let alone do it like they did in this time. It's kinda fun once you get started. After a while though, I'm sure it becomes work.

"Looks like you finally found something to do," Two-Bit says. I look beside me to see him leaning on the fence.

"Hey, Two-Bit," I answer cheerfully.

"What are you up to?"

"I figured if I'm gonna stay here, I'm gonna help out instead of bum around like you," I tease. "You should try working some. It might be good for you."

"Hell, if I did that, everyone would die of shock." I laugh.

"I bet they would."

"Oh, you still owe me one," he says. "Remember when you and Johnny snuck back in?"

"Yes."

"You owe me for keeping my trap shut."

"What were you thinking?" I ask.

"I don't know just yet. We'll have to see."

"My, my. You got me scared," I say sarcastically. "Anyway, have you seen Ponyboy this morning?"

"Yeah. Him and Johnny went somewhere. Those two are attached to the hip at times," he answers.

"Sometimes. So I guess that pretty much leaves me and you."

"I guess so." I start to make my way inside. He follows me around the fence and comes through the gate. We go inside together and I take the basket back to the laundry room while he sits in the floor watching the TV.

"Hey, Two-Bit?" I call from another room.

"Yeah?"

"What's your real name?"

"I never told you?" he asks.

"No." I hear the icebox open and bottles clanking together. I hear a pop and I know he's found himself a beer.

"It's Keith," he says. "What's yours?" I come back into the main room to see him watching cartoons with a beer in his hands. I stare at him with my arms folded across my chest.

"You'll never, ever know," I tell him.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not gonna tell you. Duh!" I answer. He puts a pouty look on his face.

"Ain't that a shame?"

The door swings open and Steve walks in. I wonder why he's here.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Two-Bit asks.

"Thought you had work," I add.

"Yeah but I'm doing a favor for someone. I know Two-Bit ain't about to help me though," he replies.

"Told you, JT," he says beside me. I shoot him a glance but quickly replace it with a smile.

"JT, will you come help me with this car for a minute? It won't take long," Steve says. I shrug. Why not?

I follow him outside to see a car parked out front. He walks to it and pops the hood. He asks me to hold it since the rod to do that is broken. I stand there while he works on the inside.