Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I wake up with a loud ringing in my ears and my head pounding. The sunlight burns my eyes as I pull the sheets over my head. They smell like sunshine from yesterday's sun drying in the yard. They smell like summer which isn't a bad scent to me.

My stomach growls loudly and I realize I'm starving. I slowly get out of bed, wrapping a blanket around my body. I stumble out of my room and see the brothers at the table. Darry looks up from reading the newspaper. Ponyboy rubs his forehead.

"Good morning, sleepy head," Soda says with a laugh.

"What's so good about it?" I mumble and sit down in the other chair. Darry gets up and brings me back a cup of coffee. I don't usually drink it but it'll probably get rid of this headache.

"How do you feel?" he asks.

"Dead," I answer. Soda chuckles to himself.

"I bet you won't do that again," he says.

"Soda, I'm gonna hurt you." He puts his hands up as if he's innocent.

"Alright, alright."

"You know you talked a lot, right?" Ponyboy says. I tilt my head as I look at him.

"I did?" He nods with a devious smile on his face. "What was I saying?"

"First you called for Two-Bit. Then you slapped him again. He went on reelin' until he passed out, and after that you came back in there and told Dally to... uhm... Well anyway. And then you told me you loved my stupid face," he explains.

"Now I remember that last part, but what did I tell Dally?" Soda, Darry, and Ponyboy glance at each other with humored expressions. "C'mon guys! Tell me!"

"Alright!" Pony says. He leans over and whispers in my ear.

"I said that?!" I ask, disgusted. "I didn't know I had such a dirty mouth..."

"Neither did we until we let you get drunk," Soda says.

"Hey, ain't you two supposed to be at work?" I ask.

"It's a holiday," Darry says.

"Yeah. Nobody's working today," Soda adds.

"Oh. Great, I'm stuck with you," I tell Soda sarcastically. He nods proudly and puts his dishes in the sink.

"JT, you want some breakfast? There's some left," Darry says. I remember how hungry I am and nod. He gets up and makes me a plate. He then sets it in front of me and I thank him.

"She really does eat like us," Ponyboy mumbles.

"Dallas said he ran into some socs last night who were looking for trouble," Darry says, ignoring Ponyboy's comment. "And he said they were really drunk and looking for a fight."

"Wouldn't doubt it," Soda says as he comes back to sit next to us.

"I've been thinking about this. I think I need to teach you some self-defense," he says. I look at him with a confused look.

"Are you sure? I'm not good at stuff like this," I tell him.

"Yeah I'm sure! You need it and besides, it's bad enough you're hanging around with us greasers, and even more dangerous that you're a girl."

"C'mon, JT! It'll be fun!" Soda insists.

"Yeah. Okay," I answer.

"Get dressed and we'll go outside. You'll probably break something in the house," Darry adds.