Chapter 4

Thanks again for reading!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The awkwardness was nearly palpable as John “read” and I “sewed”. With shy, fleeting glances constantly exchanged, neither of us was focusing.

                I yelped, clumsily I had pricked my finger with the needle. A small bead of blood rose to the tip of my finger. My nose wrinkled in disgust, I hated blood. Couldn’t stand it, the thought of it was revolting. A crease deepened between John’s two brows. He gets up, and takes my small hand gently in his. Silently he leads me to the bucket of water sitting next to the fire. He takes a damp rag and wraps it around my little finger. A small dot forms on the rag. He shakes his head wearily.

                “I truly hate blood, absolutely disgusting.” His lips form in a thin line,

                I nod in agreement, “I agree, to many times scraping my knees as a small child did me in with blood.” I smile a little,

                There is a low chuckle from him. There is a heavy rapping at the door; we both instantaneously shift around to the direction of the door. A muffled voice begins to speak, but the words a too jumbled. I set the rag down and scamper across the room to the door. I pry it open, the snow has piled up against the door.

                I smile as I see who it is.

                “Perry!” I jump up to put my arms around his shoulders,

                He was so tall now; he had become a man in the time he was away! He grinned, and it still took me back to memories of playing by the river as our mother’s did laundry. Memories of prancing through the school yard, arms linked declaring the two of us would be wedded on day. My grin reaches from ear to ear.

                “Lindy, my dear girl it is you!” He wraps his arms around me once more in a warm embrace,

                “Oh, how I have missed you since you left!” I grab his arm and pull him inside,

                He accidently brings in lots of snow accumulated by his boots. I slam the door shut behind him. He is back! I missed his so! Perry Vern was my best friend, and I hadn’t seen him in at least three years. He was two years older than me, so when he left school he moved onto medical school in the faraway town of Benton. I doubt there could be anything more comforting and reassuring than Perry’s wicked green eyes sparkling with mischief. I had known him all of my life, and he was finally back.

                “You have grown so tall Perry!” I commented,

                “That or you have grown so short!” He laughed heartily,

                I stick my tongue out, it isn’t mannerly but this was Perry after all! A low clearing of the throat come from behind me. I turn on heel, I had forgotten that John was even there. My cheeks burned, he had seen the whole scene between Perry and I; and I never bothered to acknowledge or introduce them.