Chapter 17

I woke abruptly to a small crack of sunlight glaring into my eyes. After blinking furiously and taking in the shock I realize that this bed is empty. There is no John lying next to me upon my pillow snoring softly with the face of a much younger and less troubled version of him. I am alone in this bed as if it was a beautifully vivid dream. There is only I curled into these sheets doubting my sanity. I roll over onto my belly and in the corner of my eyes I see a folded up piece of paper on the opposite nightstand. I nearly jump to it as if I was a predatory cat leaping for its next victim. My fingers numbly fumble with it, finally I open the paper.

                Belinda,

                It wouldn’t surprise me if you are in disbelief and convinced yourself that what happened hours ago was a dream. I almost thought that myself until I turned over and saw you sleeping next to me. I left just after dawn, I am sorry I did not give you a proper farewell but time wasn’t on my side. These lands by the castle are dangerous if I am seen by prying eyes. Just know that I love you, and I am going to get you from that hell-hole castle and make you mine.

                -John

                P.S. Burn this note as soon as you read it; I can’t let even the most unimportant maid know of me.

                This was more startling than seeing him in the flesh; this was proof that it was more than just a dream. John was still out in this big, wide world. And he said he would save me… And then it dawned upon me, the guilt hit me with stunning force. I committed adultery against my husband Heath. I know he was a terrible man, and not what God meant for a loving marriage. But there is no denying that it was still adultery even if Heath was a monster. Sickness bubbled within me; I couldn’t be with the one I loved without committing adultery. I sinned so badly, even though Heath virtually had a harem of mistresses I still felt guilt from one night with my soul mate. No two lovers should commit adultery, but I did.

                The only word that could describe that moment was shame. Shame.

                The maids came in and changed the sheets as they did regularly like clockwork; they disposed any last of John’s cedar-y scent upon the pillows. They changed me out of my nightdress and quietly commented on how early I went to bed and how late I rose this morn. I blushed, they did not know of last night’s occurrences. I watched them closely as they tended to the fire, I watched as they ashes danced through the air as they prodded at the coals. In these were the burnt remnants of John’s letter.

                “Ma’am, you are requested down in the foyer.” A meek girl pops in,

                She curtsies clumsily and looks down on the frayed edge of her apron shyly. I didn’t understand why Heath refused to insist on the head of housekeeping to give these poor girls something cleaner and newer.

                “Of course Adele, would you be a dear and escort me down? I am always lost in this castle.” I smiled broadly,

                She pulled her lips into a tight smile; she was very shy poor thing. After I excused myself from the rest of the help cleaning the room I followed fast moving Adele. She would be a darling girl is she got the opportunity to properly wash her face and pin her yellow hair back in more than a severe bun. She rubbed her hands on her apron anxiously often; she was new to the castle that I could tell. After a few weeks or months the maids grew a bit warmer to me realizing I wasn’t a shrew that someone like Heath would typically marry.

                I did wish that one of them would give me company up in the Red Room, it often gets quite bore some even with the many books I read. Didn’t most queens have ladies-in-waiting? Heath never really liked me having company up in my prison. And for that I do not know why? If he expects me to sit like a doll in that hideous room all day long, he should have the decency to give me more forms of entertainment to amuse me a make the long days go by faster.

                She led me around a corner and we met a trio of men in the foyer. I paused, one of them I had met on occasion. General Dawn was the head of the military in Bith, also a well-respected war hero. General Dawn often met with Heath and I knew him as a distant acquaintance. They bowed in my prescience as queen. I nodded quickly allowing them to rise; it was such a silly act for one insignificant person who happened to be royalty.

                “I bring news of your husband King Heath of Bith.” His helmet is held to his heart,

                I nod, “Yes, and what news is it?”

                The three men pale drastically, this cannot be good in the least.

                “I assume you know that your husband was on the Felucian-Bith border?” General Dawn continues,

                “Indeed I knew of his travels.”

                “There was a sneak attack two nights ago made by nomad rebels on the Felucian-Bith peace alliance feast and there were not many that survived.” My heart shuddered, “And the king was injured, he is still alive but is delicately hanging in the balance and he requested that we escort you to him. He was very unyielding on this your majesty.”

                My chest was consumed in crossfire of mixed emotions.

                “I suppose we should set out for the border before the day burns away?” I squeak out,

                He nods, “We shall get extra guard on this trip, and I shall arrange all of the details for you my queen.” He bows before exiting with the two other men.