Chapter 35

"What do you think?" Gillian went out from the fitting room with a cream colored wedding gown in a mermaid style. She gave herself a twirl and placed her hands on her waist. "Well?"

"Hmm...too fancy. Not really for you." Gorgy commented, looking at Gillian from head to toe. 

"Whaat? I should look fancy. It's my wedding day." She looked at herself in front of the mirror.

"It looks great on you." One saleslady said.

"Amanda, what do you think?" Gillian called out at Amanda who was busy looking around for wedding gowns. She looked at Gillian from a distance and  went back to looking.

"Too fancy. You should go for something simple. That is out of your character."

"I told you." Gorgy pointed out.

"This has been the 10th gown. We have to choose what kind of flowers to use for the wedding." Gillian protested, slouching.

"Dear, this is the biggest day of your whole life. Everything has to be perfect. You have to choose the perfect wedding gown. Don't slouch." Gorgy warned and Gillian quickly stood straight.

"Hey, what about this?" Holding out a white wedding gown, Amanda smiled at them. It was rather simple; a strapless gown with a diagonal draped bodice with a tulle skirt that drops plainly on the floor. There was a floral design at the center of the gown, by the abdominal area.

This wasn't the first time Amanda has ever been to a bridal shop. She understood why brides tend too long to decide on a wedding gown. It wasn't just any gown-for them it is something personal that would be theirs forever. A sentimental value that can only be  worn once. She witnessed Emma finding the right wedding gown. She was teary when she looked at herself in the mirror.

And when they know it was the perfect dress, they always have tears falling.

"This is it, isn't?" Gillian smiled, tears were rolling down her cheeks now as she looked at herself in the mirror. Everyone around were smiling. Nobody needs to speak anymore. They knew it was the one.

Later that night, Amanda was trying to cook a creamy mushroom soup. She asked Caroline to gave her a recipe and to give it a try. For the first time of her life inside her apartment, she turned on the radio. When "Frankie Valli's Can't take my eyes off you" played, she wanted to turn it off. But, after listening to a few beats, she started to nod her head, swayed  her hips and started to sing.

Holding the ladle near her mouth, like some kind of microphone, she sang with all her heart out. She did a slide on the floor and went crazy along with the beat. She perfectly remembered how Henry danced that night in her reunion and realized how her heartbeat went fast that time. She didn't mind that she was smiling already. She like looking at him when he danced, he was a good dancer after all.

Then her doorbell rang. She stopped dancing and just looked at the door. She was very nervous all of a sudden. She stepped closer to her door and took a peek on the peephole and was shocked to see people outside. They were in different ages, different genders but they all had one thing in common: there all have cameras hanging around their necks.

"Oh no." Amanda said to herself as the the doorbell kept on ringing. Then there was a continuous knock on the door. She had all the doors locked, slowly.

"We know you're there, Ms. Adams. We just want to ask a few questions" one voice called out. Amanda's heart was beating fast and she no longer knew what to do. What should I do? She looked around and saw her phone by the marbled counter.

"In this scene, you ran from there and into this room." Sir Rufus instructed Henry as he held the script. They were doing the scene in the hospital, just around New York City.

"And then make a pause and then the scene goes on, right? I get it." Henry said.

"All right, places! Places! Everyone!" Everyone in the set was ready as they went to their places. All the cameras were in places, the mics, the actors. When the clapped box was about to clapped, James called out Henry.

"Excuse me, we're trying to shoot here." Sir Rufus shouted.

"Just a moment, sir. Henry, I think you need to take this." James said as he handed Henry his phone. Henry took it and saw Amanda's name.

"I need a break, sir Rufus. Just a moment." Henry ordered. Sir Rufus rolled his eyes and started ordering the crew to have their breaks and studied some of the angles for the scenes. 

"Hello, Amanda." Henry said. When he heard Amanda's voice in panic, he knew something was wrong.

"Henry, the paparazzi are outside my apartment. I don't know what to do." Amanda said, her voice was shaking.

"What?" Henry's hands turned into fists. "Are there any exits in your apartment?"

"I have a window."

"That'll be good enough. I'll be there in 10 minutes." Henry ended the call and faced James. "Tell Rufus we need to postpone the shooting for tonight."

"What? Would that be okay?" 

"He needs me more than I need him anyway. It'll be fine. I just need to get to Amanda for tonight. She's in trouble."

James gave a sigh. "Fine. I'm doing this not because I'm your manager but, as your best friend. Go ahead, man."

"Thanks." And with that Henry left.

"What the-where is my Henry going?" Rufus called out, his hands on his waist. 

"He has something to do for someone. Someone very important."

Amanda sat still by her door. The radio have been playing several music now and so was the continuous knocks and the rings of her doorbell. This is harassment, isn't it? They are indeed annoying. Her phone began to ring and she immediately picked it up.

"Henry?"

"I'm here outside." Henry's voice gave comfort to Amanda. "It seems we have a lot of company below here, too. Can you come down now?"

"Y-yeah. I think I can." Amanda stood up and headed towards the window and opened it. It was quite high from where she was standing. She went out, holding the window frames  and tried to calm herself down. The air was cold; cold  enough to see her breathing. She walked silently down the stairs, passing by the windows of her neighbors' and reached the last flight of stairs when she notice, she has to jumped down.

"Hey." Henry called up to her, with his hands on his black coat. There was a beige scarf around his neck and a black snow cap on his head. Amanda smiled at him and Henry smiled at her back.

"I have to jumped down." Amanda said, gripping tightly on the steel.

Henry extended his arms towards her. "I'll catch you. Here." He assured Amanda with a signal of his hands to come down to him.

"Uhmm---" Amanda was nervous. There was one floor difference from the ground and looking from Henry, he looked so dress, she got embarrassed. She was only wearing a black sweatshirt with a puppy design, a black sweater pants and her large indoor slippers (with a cute dog design). But, knowing her life is in danger, there was no time to think such things anymore. 

"Come on. I'm right here." 

Amanda sat on the steel stairs. "I'm scared."

"I know. Just let go. I'll catch you. I promise."

With his  words, Amanda jumped out from the stairs and into Henry's arms.