Chapter Four - Home

“She alright?” A southern drawl spoke, sounding dreamy, distant, almost. It had sounded close to her father's voice for a moment, but then it smoothed into an unfamiliar one. Quinn realized she was awake when she felt the ache of every joint all at once. The pain alone kept her from moving, so she remained in her current position. Maybe she could drift back asleep.

“She got hit pretty hard with something, right here.” Another voice, softer and female, touched her forehead gently. Gentle or not it stung and Quinn moved, wincing loudly.

“It was a boot.” She hissed, rolling over to the opposite side of the voice. She heard Merle chuckle and her dark eyes fluttered open. She was in the backseat of a small car from what she could see, the interior slick and leather. She rolled back over to see a woman, short brown hair with a beautiful face, staring at her with concerned eyes. “Who - where’s Merle?”

“Over here.” Merle waved from a few feet away, leaning towards the car so he was in her view. It was still difficult to see, but she recognized his smile and smiled back.

“You got knocked out.” The woman said softly. Her accent was just as thick as Merle’s, but her voice was soft and gentle. It was pleasant to the ears. Her sight slowly clears and she can see the woman better, along with several more people not too far off down the road. She shifted herself up and smiled at Merle. The fact he was okay made the pain worthwhile.

“We’re gonna be leavin’ real soon.” He murmured, looking at the approaching people. “Things are about to get ugly.”

A few feet away, Merle's warning was materializing. “I’m gonna need you to calm down.” A taller man said, by his voice, she knew it was the one that asked about her condition, putting his hands out to block an Asian man and a black woman from approaching. The Asian man seemed confused until his eyes met Merle’s, and then his lips curled up into a snarl and he began shouting. The black woman had rage in her eyes as well and lifted a sword, sharp and gleaming in the sun from what Quinn could see, and pointed it at her companion, shouting alongside the Asian man. She heard the name Rick and Glenn tossed around but had no idea which belonged to which, so she turned to Merle and asked.

“Yellow boy’s name is Glenn.” Merle said smugly. “And the pig is Rick. Man who did this to me.” He tapped his knife. “That’s Daryl next to ‘em. My brother.” She nods, though she hadn’t noticed Daryl besides Rick, despite the fact he was defending Merle loudly. He just seemed to blend in with the small crowd. The woman that was sitting besides her now joined Rick and Daryl in calming the violent duo, which worked somewhat because they did simmer down. Still, Merle laughed obnoxiously, leaving Quinn's side to join Rick and the others in the road.

“Looks like you’ve gone native brother.” He was grinning as he spoke, eyes dancing over the faces of Glenn and the unnamed black woman.

“No more than you hangin’ out with that psycho back there.” Daryl shouted back. He was close to Merle and angry, and for good reason as Merle never shut up. Quinn could sense almost instantly the brotherly bond between the two, and it sifted through her thoughts heavily. It made her nervous.

“Oh yeah, he is a charmer, I gotta tell ‘ya that.” He grinned at his brother, then turned to the black woman. “Been puttin’ the wood to your girlfriend Andrea big time baby.” He winked and flicked his tongue suggestively, obviously trying his best to piss her off. The woman was having a hard time controlling herself, told by the tightening of her grip around the handle of the blade. Where someone found a massive sword like that in this day and age escaped Quinn.

“Wait, Andrea is still in Woodbury?” The black woman spoke for what had been the first time in front of Quinn. She remembered her vaguely, she had lingered around Andrea for a few days and then,  just vanished. In all honesty Quinn had assumed she was dead.