Day Off

'I still don't see why I have to go!' I moaned as I stormed out of the bathroom; the back of my floor-length red dress flapping open as I walked round my bed towards my dressing table, picking up the age old velvet black choker before wrapping it tightly round my pale neck. 'I mean, it's not like they want any of us there anyway, so why make it worse?'
'Because they actually invited you for some strange reason so it's polite to go,' sighed Stefan as he walked behind me to zip up my dress.
'Why should we be polite when they've tried to kill us on multiple occasions?' I questioned as I turned round, clipping my choker securely before looking my brother in the eyes.
'No, they've tried to kill me on multiple occasions, not you,' came my eldest brothers' voice from the door of my bedroom.
I rolled my eyes as I turned back to my vanity, searching for my diamond earrings. 'Oh, poor Damon,' I mused, turning round as I clipped on the earrings, giving him my best sympathetic smile which dropped suddenly. 'Tell someone who cares.'
'Aren't you kind, sister,' he replied, giving me a brief smile.
'Must be a family trait,' I retorted, giving him a brief smirk with he returned. Once I was just outside the door, I turned back to see my brothers rolling their eyes. 'What? We can't be late for a ball, now can we?'
*
'Boy, do I feel out of place,' I muttered, shivering as the men on the doors of the Mikaelson Manor relieved me of my warm coat.
'Relax,' whispered Damon as he came to stand by my side. 'You already act like a jumped up vampire so you should fit right in.'
I slowly turned my head to see Damon smirking down at me. 'Be nice to your little sister, Damon. You know I'm stronger than you.'
'Yes, I'm quivering in my boots,' he replied, rolling his eyes.
'Whatever. I'm going to get drunk,' I said with an innocent smile before turning to walk away only to turn back to my brother. 'Try not to kill anyone this time.'
'As long as you promise not to embarrass yourself,' he sung.
'I think you're mistaking me with yourself,' I said with a wink before walking through the crowd in search of a drink.
'I do hope you chose to interact with the Salvatore instead of him harassing you,' came a voice like velvet from behind me.
I laughed quietly before turning round, seeing a gorgeous brunette man with hazel eyes staring down at me. 'He's always harassing me. Not that there's anything you can do about that,' I smiled.
'How about taking your mind off him?' the man suggested, offering me one of the two glasses of champagne in his hands.
'I think I'm going to need more than a glass of champagne to take my mind off the ignorance that is Damon Salvatore,' I replied, taking the glass from his hand; our skin gently grazing causing me to look into his deep eyes. For a moment, I had lost all thought, even the knowledge of where I was and, for a human heartbeat, I thought that this man felt the same.
I cleared my throat, smiling at the man before moving my gaze to the crowd as I took a health sip from my glass, wiping the corner of my lip with the tip of my index finger before lifting my gaze to the man whom was smiling down at me. 'So, how do you know the Mikaelson's?' I asked, trying to shake my head of the daze I was in moments before.
The man smirked as he took a large sip from his glass. 'I'm very close to the Mikaelson's. So close, in fact, that I would even consider them family.'
I closed my eyes briefly as I let my stupidity go over me. 'Forgive me,' I said, wetting my lips as I opened my eyes, only to look down at the floor. 'I know only of Klaus and Elijah.'
A gentle touch on my chin caused me to look up at the man; his eyes kind yet with a glimmer of trickery. 'Well the, we're going to have to change that,' he said with a smirk. He let go of my chin and, instead, took my free hand in his, lifting it to his lips. 'My name is Kol Mikaelson,' he said, brushing his lips against my skin causing me to shudder. He raised his head slightly as he continued to stare into my eyes.
'Pleasure to meet you,' I said with a smile, feeling a blush slowly creep up to my cheeks which Kol must have noticed for he smirked.
'I'm sure. Now, would you care to dance Miss...?'
'Salvatore,' I said, although quietly as though I was ashamed.
'Ah, so you're the infamous Salvatore sister,' he purred as he wrapped my hand round his arm, walking us towards the other side of the room. He leaned towards me as we crossed the threshold into the ballroom; a mixture of colours swirling in my vision. 'I certainly have heard a lot about you.'
'All good things, I hope?' I asked as he spun me round before pulling me hard against his chest.
'Of course, princess,' he replied with a smirk as he began to spin us round the dance floor.
"Princess'? Little bit forward considering we've just met?' I laughed as he spun me round again.
'Well, it is fit for someone as stunning and elegant as you,' he said with a smirk.
'My Mr Mikaelson, is this how you treat all your female company?' I asked raising my brows.
'Only one,' he replied; his smirk growing bigger.
*
'So, you're in love with him?' asked Elena as she sat on my bed whilst Caroline and I searched through my clothes for something to wear to Tyler's party that night.
'Elena, I've only known him for a few months! I can't fall in love with someonethat quickly!'
'Remember, she did fall in love with your brother probably quicker than a few months!' laughed Caroline from inside my walk-in wardrobe
'Okay, that's gross!' I laughed as I pulled out a tight black skirt. 'But anyway, I don't love Kol! I barely know the man!'
'You've been spending every single day with him since the Mikaelson ball!' exclaimed Caroline.
'Not to mention you're always flirting with each other especially your brothers aren't around!' Elena laughed.
'That's because they hate him,' I replied with a smirk.
'All the more reason for you to date him,' Caroline said with a grin.
I sighed as I walked over to my bed, falling onto the pile of clothes that we had already put in the 'maybe' pile.
'Why do you hang out with him, anyway?' asked Elena, already in her outfit for the party ahead.
'I don't know. There's just something about him,' I replied, placing my hands on my stomach as I gazed at the ceiling, remembering each memory that I had regarding the Mikaelson. 'He's fun, confident-'
'Not to mention he calls you 'princess',' laughed Elena causing me to roll my eyes.
'I actually hate that name. Makes me feel like a child. But, aside from that he is really sweet-'
'And psychotic,' chimed Caroline. I grabbed the pillow from behind me before flinging it hard. With her vampire skills, she caught it easily, only to through it at Elena who scoffed when it hit.
'I can't explain it. He just gives me this feeling when he looks at me with those eyes of his. And that smirk...' I sighed. 'God, I love that man.'
'What?!' both girls exclaimed. The second the words were out of my mouth, I prayed that I could take them back.
'I meant that I love his smirk! Not him!' I stuttered as I shot up off the bed, biting my lip as my two friends stared at me with open mouths. 'Besides, I meant it in a friend way!'
'You love him?!' Caroline practically screamed.
'No!' I shouted. 'It was a figure of speech!'
'But you admitted that you love him!'
'I knew it! Only people in love get those lovey eyes,' Elena laughed.
'Look, just shut up the both of you!' I shouted. 'It doesn't matter, okay? Now, Caroline, hurry up and pick out an outfit for you and for me so we can drink the night away and forget I ever said that!'
The room was silent for a moment before Caroline went back into my wardrobe and began to pick out an outfit. 'You still said it, whether we believe it or not,' she muttered, probably forgetting that I could hear everything that she said. She was right, though. Whether or not they believed it wasn't the problem. It was the fact that I had said it which was the problem as it meant that it was probably true.
*
'God, can you believe that Tyler's with that skank, Melissa? I mean, she's part of the cheerleading squad! Doesn't he know how slutty they are?' Caroline muttered as we drank God knows what in the corner of the Lockwood's hallway.
'Caroline, you're a cheerleader,' I said, downing the rest of my drink in one as I watched the crowd.
'Yes but, I don't put out for everything that has a dick!' she exclaimed as she watched Tyler start to kiss at the black haired girls neck.
'Why don't we get another drink,' Elena said as she pulled her best friend away from the view and into the next door room. I laughed as I followed them into the study where even more people were sucking on each others necks than in the hallway.
'Eugh!' Caroline exclaimed as she filled her red cup with liquid from the punch bowl on the side of the room. 'Seeing couples makes me sick. I need air.'
'Vampires don't need air,' I laughed as I picked up a bottle of whisky and took a large shot, shaking my head as the burning hit the back of my throat.
'Oh, pipe down buzz kill. Just because Kol isn't here, doesn't mean you need to ruin the night for everyone,' Caroline slurred as she took a shot of her new drink.
'Maybe I should hold onto that,' I said, easily taking the drink from her before turning to look at Elena. 'I think she might be right about the air thing.'
Elena nodded her head in agreement. 'I'll see you in a sec,' she said before she dragged Caroline out of the doors onto the lawn of the manor.
I placed my back against the wall as I looked round the room, slowly sipping on the bottle of whisky in my hand. I was about to leave the room when I saw Kol leaning against the wall with a skinny, tall blonde girl who was showing way too much cleavage and arse that left nothing to the imagination. I felt my blood begin to boil as jealousy flowed through me. I continued to watch the couple as the girl laughed and dragged her red fingernails down his chest, making me want to vomit there and then. It was only when she began to stroke the waistband of his jeans that I downed a large shot of whisky before walking over to them. 'Kol! Fancy seeing you here!' I exclaimed as I placed my hand on his upper arm, completely ignoring the blonde.
'Princess. You do look stunning,' he said as a smirk began to creep to his lips.
'Well, not as good as you,' I said, ignoring the pet name as I bit my lip, leaning into him as I reached towards his ear, speaking loud enough so that the blonde next to me would hear. 'You look good enough to eat.'
As I pulled back with a smirk of my own, the blonde girl cleared her throat loudly. 'Oh, sorry, didn't see you there,' I said with a smile that didn't reach my eyes. I leant into Kol, as I looked the girl up and down, trying desperately to cover my shiver of disgust. 'You are...?'
'Amy,' she said curtly as she watched me place my hand on Kol's shoulder with disgust. 'And you must be the town slut,' she said with a smirk.
'Oh, honey, you shouldn't degrade yourself like that!' I said in a patronising voice as I let my other hand stroke down Kol's chest, lingering over his abs. 'So, how do you know Kol?' I asked, making sure that my jealousy was not evident in my voice.
'We've fucked.' At her statement, I felt my eyebrows shoot up and my mouth drop open. Seeing my reaction, she grinned. 'Actually, it was just the other day, right Kol?' she asked, her eyes lingering on the space below his belt before reaching his eyes and then mine.
I felt Kol's shoulders shake with amusement at our cat fight though he said nothing.
'Funny, in all the months we've been living together, he hasn't mentioned you once,' I said, frowning slightly. The second my statement was out my lips, her face fell. She pursed her lips together before flicking her hair over her shoulder and storming away. I bit my lip in an attempt to hide my smile as I let my hands fall from Kol's body.
'What was that about?' he asked with a smirk. I let my gaze fall onto the floor as I continued to bite my lip. I was never the confident girl around guys, nor was I the one to fight for who I wanted. I felt embarrassed and ashamed at the way I acted but I just couldn't let the girl have him. Yet, despite all that, I couldn't say a word. I just continued to stare at the floor as the music pounded through the walls of the manor.
'Ah, I see.' I didn't look up to see the reaction on Kol's face. I knew it would hurt too much. As I began to turn away, tears forming in my eyes, I felt a warm grip on my wrist. I turned round and looked up as Kol's other hand cupped my cheek and pulled me towards him. His lips were plump and wet from his recent drink yet amazing nonetheless. I felt myself lean into him as he did to me, taking the bottle of whisky from my hand to put it on the table beside him before he took the hand from my wrist and wrapped it round my waist, pulling me tight against his stone hard body. I didn't have time to place my hand round his neck for he released me from the kiss.
He looked down at me with red lips which slowly grew into a smirk. 'If you wanted me princess, all you had to do was ask.'